Like Tree1Likes

HK Driving Licence Application

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Driving Licence Application

Hi all,

I will shortly be moving to a partly serviced apartment (paid for by my company) and wish to apply for a HK driving licence - I currently hold a UK one.

However, as the apartment is not in my name but in the name of a colleague, our local administrator is telling me it is not possible for me to apply for a HK licence as I will not have proof of address in my own name...

Is there any way around this?

Proof of address can be any utility bill, you must have a mobile phone bill that you can change the address to the new serviced apartment or your bank account address etc.

Do you have a local bank account? Bank statements can also be used as address proof.

Unfortunately none of the above.

I've been a short term rolling contract out here which has been getting extended continuously.

I have a HKID but I don't think that is associated with a specific address?

Quote Originally Posted by numanchris:
    Unfortunately none of the above.
    Wait till you have a local bank account open, then take a statement along with your passport, HKID card and UK license to get the HK driving license sorted.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Wait till you have a local bank account open, then take a statement along with your passport, HKID card and UK license to get the HK driving license sorted.
    I don't think I'll be opening a local bank account though, I'll be here maybe another six months (famous last words...)

In that case why do you even bother to get a HK license? You can drive with a UK license for up to 12 months?

3. Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders
    For overseas driving licence holders who wish to drive in Hong Kong, they may do so through one of the following means-

(a) Apply for a full driving licence by direct issue without test;
    (b) Apply for a temporary driving licence; or
    (c) Driving on strength of their valid overseas driving licence or international driving permit if they are visitors to Hong Kong (visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months).

Quote Originally Posted by numanchris:
    I don't think I'll be opening a local bank account though, I'll be here maybe another six months (famous last words...)

Next month I will have been here for 12 months, and it would be useful as of now for me to be able to drive for work reasons for the remainder of my time here

Seeming likely there may not be a way around

go to any random mobile phone service provider, sign a I dont know cheapest monthly plan with shortest number of months to your new address is the easiest way I can think of.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast