Like Tree104Likes

Compare England and Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12

Funny that some think FOW/DH gonna teach anyone to speak better English (than eg School).... A nanny might but they’re a completely different price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    No-one is forced to get on a plane and fly over here to work.

If cheaper full time mid-week child-care enabled lower income women in the UK to go to work (and they want to), fdhs in the UK could be win-win. I know several who would.
    They are not forced at gunpoint but between starving and modern slavery, they choose the latter... Just like they can complain about being mistreated and as a reward, they go right back to poverty, don't pass go, don't collect 200$. Mind you, the HK government didn't invent the system, the colonial powers were very happy to leave labor laws at home and exploit local workers around the world and line their pockets nicely along the way.

Funny that some think FOW/DH gonna teach anyone to speak better English (than eg School).... A nanny might but they’re a completely different price bracket.

They are not forced at gunpoint but between starving and modern slavery, they choose the latter...
    This is exactly the point - fdh labour is pulling millions of families out of starvation poverty.

Yes it would be wonderful if they could all have well paid jobs running pet hotels or training o.a.p.s to use word processors instead, but that isn't how the global economy works.
    chuckster007 likes this.

UK
    More relaxed
    More space
    Nicer summer weather
    Less pollution
    People less judgemental about your appearance

HK
    Public transport
    More choice when eating out
    Nicer winters
    More types of fruit
    More efficient

jdf21st likes this.

Hong Kong is better in some ways

safer to walk around even at night

can phone and get a doctors appointment on the same day or next at the latest

not so many people begging and sleeping in shop doorways

jdf21st likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iwy1:
    UK
    More relaxed
    More space
    Nicer summer weather
    Less pollution

HK
    Public transport
    Nicer winters More types of fruit
    More efficient
    Personally I feel HK is less bothered about appearance. It seems anything goes whereas UK can be quite fashion conscious.

UK is a big place, are you comparing HK to London or to The middle of the Lake district/cotswolds?

As regards food, I'd say London has more variety than HK.
    Skyhook and jdf21st like this.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    In general, I think...

England benefits

Work/life balance
    Air quality
    Food
    Property prices

Hong Kong benefits

Convenience
    Weather

Anything you guys disagree with or care to add?
    Just the post I was looking for. I've been debating with my inner expertise for the umpteenth time whether or not to leave HK for England (will be living in London).

Quote Originally Posted by iwy1:
    UK
    More relaxed
    More space
    Nicer summer weather
    Less pollution

HK
    Public transport
    Nicer winters
    More types of fruit
    More efficient

The OP is comparing only England and not the entire United Kingodm with HK. I think a lot of people use England and (the) UK interchangeably ignoring the fact that these words are two different lots and aren't synonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by hannah01:
    The OP is comparing only England and not the entire United Kingodm with HK. I think a lot of people use England and (the) UK interchangeably ignoring the fact that these words are two different lots and aren't synonymous.
    Quite often they think of London as being the UK . Even England is very varied so is the comparison for example between the Lake District and Hong Kong or London and Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12