Like Tree114Likes

UK Spouse Visa - Applying From Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Each to their own I guess. I’ve been in HK for a couple of years and doing at least one more but I’m looking forward to returning. HK is nice for a change of scene, culture and a good base for exploring the region but so much to appreciate in UK . Mind you I’m speaking as one going home to retire,
    I would probably agree if I was alone or my wife was British. It's a lot of hassle to get a visa though. Strange since we'd be taxpayers. Maybe there should just be a form to sign saying you waive the right to claim benefits so that people like my wife (mother and husband of British citizens, with no intention to claim from the govt except NHS I guess) wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops.

I agree HK isn't a good place to retire either. Doubt I'd retire in HK or the UK. Might as well go somewhere cheaper (maybe Thailand) where money from passive income will go further.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I would probably agree if I was alone or my wife was British. It's a lot of hassle to get a visa though. Strange since we'd be taxpayers. Maybe there should just be a form to sign saying you waive the right to claim benefits so that people like my wife (mother and husband of British citizens, with no intention to claim from the govt except NHS I guess) wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops.

I agree HK isn't a good place to retire either. Doubt I'd retire in HK or the UK. Might as well go somewhere cheaper (maybe Thailand) where money from passive income will go further.
    For me retirement means being near family and long time friends. Plenty of time to travel for extended periods to foreign climes from the uk and nice to have home to return to. Also NHS cover for security. Owning property and having a good pension plus savings should mean money is not the most important factor. I'd be bored in Thailand

Yes they ask the same questions all over again. My wife who is from HK is on the 5 year route to obtaining her permanent residence visa.

My advise is to keep a copy of the application form for your first application as you can refer to it again when making the next application. Also as part of the application process they need proof that you have lived together at the same address. So they ask for 6 official letters addressed to each of you spread over the 2.5 years or alternatively 6 letters addressed to both of you at your home address. For example bank statements, gas bills etc. So remember to keep useful letters!

Then there is the 'life in the UK' test and B1 English test and all kinds of other hoops you will have to jump through.

We are on the the final stage of this tedious procedure. A lot of it unnecessary in my opinion. Probably at the end it will have cost us around 5000 GBP in various fees.

donotdisturb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Guy:
    Yes they ask the same questions all over again. My wife who is from HK is on the 5 year route to obtaining her permanent residence visa.

My advise is to keep a copy of the application form for your first application as you can refer to it again when making the next application. Also as part of the application process they need proof that you have lived together at the same address. So they ask for 6 official letters addressed to each of you spread over the 2.5 years or alternatively 6 letters addressed to both of you at your home address. For example bank statements, gas bills etc. So remember to keep useful letters!

Then there is the 'life in the UK' test and B1 English test and all kinds of other hoops you will have to jump through.

We are on the the final stage of this tedious procedure. A lot of it unnecessary in my opinion. Probably at the end it will have cost us around 5000 GBP in various fees.
    Shit I had forgotten those bloody letters, nightmare finding all those.
    donotdisturb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Guy:

Thank you Happy Guy!

Do we also need to submit the photos and conversations all over again from when we started dating, getting married, etc? Or has the timeline shifted to when we arrived in UK? Even though it’s still about 2 years away but like you say it’s best to start saving all these stuff. It was already gruelling in the first stage.

My friend got her spouse in. The spouse entered on a tourist visa and once that expired, they went to the office with a lawyer. They got a 5-year visa on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    My friend got her spouse in. The spouse entered on a tourist visa and once that expired, they went to the office with a lawyer. They got a 5-year visa on the spot.
    UK?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    UK?
    Yes, I don't think it's a recommended strategy though. Maybe a fluke. They told us it's easier to be approved if you live in the country side. I really don't know, but that's what got through to us.

Mind you she was pregnant, they have more little kids, and the entire extended family showed up in the office.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 23-03-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Never heard of this before. My wife was here on a tourist visa originally. When we decided to go for a permanent residence visa we had to go back to HK to apply. They told us we couldn't apply from the UK.

We didn't have to submit these again although as I said they ask the same questions all over again like when and where did you meet. When did your relationship start? What language do you speak at home etc. So it is best to keep a copy of what you told them on the first application. I also had to include a letter confirming that we were still living together as husband and wife. Actually we have found the Citizens Advice Bureau very helpful and have been to them before making each application. They have someone in most offices who keeps up to date with the immigration laws and can give good advice.

donotdisturb likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast