Like Tree19Likes

Did I get ripped off? Looking for a good car mechanic

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A rice burner JDM civic type r? Or accord euro r? Toyota Celica? Madza rz 7?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    A rice burner JDM civic type r? Or accord euro r? Toyota Celica? Madza rz 7?
    OP deserves being ripped off if he bought a pre-2000 Celica at 50k.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    most local garages have a fixed price for MOT, around 1700-1800 that includes MOT, air filter, oil change, oil filter, and 4 litres of oil, but if you have a big truck that needs more, they will bill you for the extra litre.

If they find MOT failure problem, broken light, etc. they should give fax or email with the item and cost for your pre-approval.

I guess he had the impression everything must be right, polishing disks and replacing the brake pads, etc. Did they show you all the old/worn parts removed?
    Yes, when he had the car he sent me a bunch photos of the work that was done. I just had no idea about the extent to which he would nickle and dime me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I'm curious about what 20+ year old $50,000 Japanese car was used for the purpose of the original post.

What brand and model is it?
    It's a Mazda MX5 roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    OP deserves being ripped off if he bought a pre-2000 Celica at 50k.
    Lol I don't know much about the Celica. Is 50k too much for it?

Quote Originally Posted by theracingdriver:
    It's a Mazda MX5 roadster

Lol I don't know much about the Celica. Is 50k too much for it?
    Hope you find some good help... If you don't mind paying a premium (but not getting ripped off), then dealerships are somewhat safe. Think there is a Mazda dealership in Kowloon Bay?
    theracingdriver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    Hope you find some good help... If you don't mind paying a premium (but not getting ripped off), then dealerships are somewhat safe. Think there is a Mazda dealership in Kowloon Bay?
    Yeah, I'm going to take it to the service centre in Kwai Chung. It's very close to my place. Thanks for the advice

The MOT fee should definitely include the oil change fee.

Did you pay the money?

I mean it's a tricky situation, I guess I'd tell him you can only pay for what you authorized. Beyond that involve the police.

JAherbert and theracingdriver like this.

The advice given so far is a very expensive way of keeping a 20 plus year old car on the road, if you aren't particularly DIY hands on. Going to the Mazda agent is going to be a very expensive idea in my experienced opinion, too.

For starters, a brand new universal fit catalytic converter costs between $150aud and $200aud usually here in Aus, where I'm sitting. They aren't an expensive part.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190326-090704.png
Views: 682
Size:  339.0 KB

The main issue is, Hong Kong is generally, a very expensive place to maintain cars of that age, which need more than just an oil change and a wash.

The MX5 is a very easy car to get parts for in the West, it was a hugely popular car in the late 80's and 90's, so, new or OEM parts are plentiful and very reasonably priced. Get friendly with one of the many MX5 parts suppliers or where the car was popular, ie Australia, UK and North America, it should be easy getting bits air freighted over a lot cheaper than what they'll try and sting you in Hong Kong.

A properly Western trained and very experienced automotive mechanic, will charge $500hkd per hour, which sounds a lot, but they work considerably faster than the local crop, minus the guess work, and come in handy for more cerebral repairs, they sail through those and everybody is happy. You spend less in the end.

The good thing is your car is relatively simple to work on mechanically/electrically, (I owned one for a year) the main issue with your car is, rust.

I can recommend a very competent and fully qualified mechanic who really impressed me when I lived in Hong Kong, he's about the same (normal competency ) to the early 20's mobile mechanic I use at my home over here in Australia. I'm really spoilt for that stuff now, just so pleasant, fast and with zero inconvenience.

If you want, I can pm you his details, he will make your present grease monkey look like a complete clown.you can use him next MOT, and be upset free from there on.

I have a very trustworthy mechanic/ garage, very good and honest service, but can you speak Cantonese or will you bring someone who can and drive to sheung shui, zitec garage / 新達車工程,next to woodland crest, 30 tin ping road, copy and paste the Chinese name on Google for directions

huja and theracingdriver like this.

In regards to car parts for Japanese car manufacturer, various Facebook group has them, great prices as well, but you need the patience and wait for them to appear on these groups,

huja and theracingdriver like this.