Like Tree4Likes

Moving to Hong Kong from UK to work in Wan Chai - where would be good to stay?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong from UK to work in Wan Chai - where would be good to stay?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping you could advise me with a query I have for which your input would be greatly appreciated.

I am from the UK and looking to move to Hong-Kong this summer in order to work in Wan Chai. I am looking for accommodation up to a budget of 18k HKD monthly and hoped you might be able to advise a decent place to rent. I am moving on my own and looking for either a serviced studio flat or a 1/2 bedroom apartment. I was considering Hung Hom but don't know these areas well enough.

For me distance is important as I intend to go to Wan Chai frequently but on a personal level am looking to connect with people who enjoy movies as this (and charity work) is where my passion lies - I run a film company as well as a finance firm within the entertainment space so always love to go to the movies and talk film! Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my message.

Accommodation is always easy. Get a proper visa first.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Accommodation is always easy. Get a proper visa first.
    What makes you think this is not sorted?
    TheBrit likes this.

Plenty of options in Wanchai for that price, so I would not worry too much. Yes, the apartments are smaller than if you were to live further out, but at least you will be close to work since time is important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What makes you think this is not sorted?
    guess work ?
    1. he does his own biz, so its not employment visa
    2. he said 'looking to' which does not mean he has already set things in motion
    3. he doesn't appear to have a dependent (spouse) VISA
    4. maybe he has natural *** status...

3 out of four reason so its worth a bet that he hasn't ?

lets see if he already has it..

The visa is being sorted and should be finalized in June.

18K will have plenty of options in Wan Chai

1st month stay in serviced apartments so that you can walk around in Wan Chai and find local estate agents to show you some apartments in Wan Chai

Here are options for serviced apartments to choose from, dont book and pay anything until u are in HK and had a look, pictures online can be deceiving lol

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/en/ser...Price=20000&l1

Hung Hom is a bit far away from Wanchai with traffic jam almost every morning. If you are going to work in Wanchai, you could consider Wanchai or Causeway Bay, then you could further check those units in Sai Ying Pun, Sheung Wan and Kennedy Town.

If you don't care about the size, you could get good studio in around $18K-

There are many cinemas in HK Island (5 in Causeway Bay) and it is easy for you to take MTR to go to Broadway Cinematheque at Yau Ma Tei to check out movies from International Movie Festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly@proway:
    Hung Hom is a bit far away from Wanchai with traffic jam almost every morning. If you are going to work in Wanchai, you could consider Wanchai or Causeway Bay, then you could further check those units in Sai Ying Pun, Sheung Wan and Kennedy Town.

If you don't care about the size, you could get good studio in around $18K-

There are many cinemas in HK Island (5 in Causeway Bay) and it is easy for you to take MTR to go to Broadway Cinematheque at Yau Ma Tei to check out movies from International Movie Festivals.
    from whampoa station to wan chai, only 18mins mtr, how can that be far away, the difference, live in a 200 sq ft shoe box for HK$18k or 400sq ft apartment with gym swimming pool clubhouse, but it depends if he/she wants to be in the action for night life, if yes, go to wan chai and compromise on space, also 5 mins walk to promenade as well, also significantly quieter in hung hom bay than wan chai.

on the other hand, he/she like films, get a larger size apartment, invest on a nice home cinema amplifier something like yamaha rx-v583 and 5.1 speakers such as tannoy eclipse 2, eclipse centre and rears all for around HK$9k and 55" hdr 4k tv such as kd-55x8000f for HK$7500 or samsung 55" nu8000 for HK$6k, via netflix subscription, you will have a decent home cinema system

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    from whampoa station to wan chai, only 18mins mtr, how can that be far away, the difference, live in a 200 sq ft shoe box for HK$18k or 400sq ft apartment with gym swimming pool clubhouse, but it depends if he/she wants to be in the action for night life, if yes, go to wan chai and compromise on space, also 5 mins walk to promenade as well, also significantly quieter in hung hom bay than wan chai.

on the other hand, he/she like films, get a larger size apartment, invest on a nice home cinema amplifier something like yamaha rx-v583 and 5.1 speakers such as tannoy eclipse 2, eclipse centre and rears all for around HK$9k and 55" hdr 4k tv such as kd-55x8000f for HK$7500 or samsung 55" nu8000 for HK$6k, via netflix subscription, you will have a decent home cinema system
    It is not far in terms of distance, but the two changes on that route (at Yau Ma Tei and Admiralty) are two of the worst ones at rush hour.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast