Like Tree26Likes

I want to work in HK!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

You mentioned on another thread that your mother was born in HK. Assuming she is chinese, you might want to look at the eligibility criteria for "Admission Scheme for the Second Generation of Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents".

Yep she is! Both my parents were born in HK and I was born before 1997 so I believe I get the ROL PR? Pretty sure at least hahah

Quote Originally Posted by tm-au:
    ROL
    whoops **RTL

Couple of things I would be considering -
    Firstly, assuming you can get an internal transfer, what salary range would your company be prepared to pay you here in HK? Salary difference here is much larger than in Oz for youngsters and senior staff, and local under-30s are cheap as chips to hire unless they havespecific niche skills. Just something to consider when you consider rents and upkeep for the dog (decent pet food here is not cheap, good red meat for protein if you want to feed raw is crazy expensive ... and never mind the vet bills!)

Secondly, have you visited the home of the rellies with whom you could stay at first? If they have their own village house, or a place in one of the more upmarket developments, well and good, but if they are in a typical middle-class flat the dog will likely have trouble finding room to curl up for a sleep, let alone stretch out to have his tummy rubbed.

Maybe you know all this already; if so I apologise for labouring the point. I think HK is a great place for young professionals - just better to get the harder news before you arrive rather than after!

Dogs in village houses are fine lol. Getting another dog probably not a good idea. They just both end up waiting for you to come home! Stick with one. When I had two they actually got more anxious because one of them was very anxious.

tm-au likes this.

I was looking into hiring a helper part time but I'm scared :'( a neighbour of mine is a police officer LOL. Was looking into ERB though, so maybe that could work.
    Luckily I live in Shatin! I'm hoping to be able to go to the racecourse as much as possible
    I don't trust the safety at the moment tbh.. was in HK 3 weeks ago and got followed from the mtr, onto the bus all the way to my door by a random guy who tried at one point to get in... Another problem is that I'll be living alone, so I feel bad for my boy being alone most of the day.... maybe I'll adopt another pup hahahahah
    Yeah, I am too scared to go illegal so got my local helper through ERB but likely you are looking at maybe 100 day for a walk- there are also dog-walking services - probably for you the dog would get taken to the dog park as it's close. A tired dog is a calm dog and will go to sleep and wait for you so a midday walk/run in the dogpark would be ideal. So if you can budget 2000 month for dog walks I think your dog could have a nice life as there are plenty of places to take him/her for weekend adventure. You could try fostering a dog (always a need for fosters in HK) from time to time if your dog likes other dogs. Some dogs are jealous of another dog so it totally depends on the dog.

We'll see how much I earn! hahaha, Don't think I earn quite enough for that luxury just yet LOL. I also don't really want to live with anyone tbh....

Thanks for your reply! Defs given me more to consider
    Minimum salary to hire a helper is $15k. You definitely shouldn’t move here if you won’t be earning at least that much.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Minimum salary to hire a helper is $15k. You definitely shouldn’t move here if you won’t be earning at least that much.
    Average salary for female worker is 14.7k, so I think she should be able to make that. Although it's silly to hire a helper at that salary IMO especially if one doesn't have kids. I would say save the cash and walk the dog two times before and after work. It's much better to spend time to bond with your dog than have a helper do it. That tends to be an HK thing, with their dogs and kids spending more time with the helpers than parents.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    Average salary for female worker is 14.7k, so I think she should be able to make that. Although it's silly to hire a helper at that salary IMO especially if one doesn't have kids. I would say save the cash and walk the dog two times before and after work. It's much better to spend time to bond with your dog than have a helper do it. That tends to be an HK thing, with their dogs and kids spending more time with the helpers than parents.
    Oh I have no opinion on whether or not they should hire a helper, just commenting on the income level.

I think the dog will definitely have a step down in quality of life moving here, and OP will also if not earning at least $20K honestly.

There is a new line on the MTR being worked on Shat Tin to Central link (or admiralty). Don't think it's ready until 2021 but will cut your commute time down.

MTR - Shatin to Central Link - Project Details - Key Information

Also for event planning and marketing you could try the larger crypto companies/exchanges. They are always hosting events or even one of the larger law firms.