Like Tree52Likes

'Wild' camping

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    The far reaches of Sai Kung country park?
    Sai Kung park is only about 10km across. From a lot of it of it you can see foothpaths, boats, jettys or residential developements, so I it's not what I'd personally call wilderness. Though by now it's clear that "wilderness" means different things to different people.

It is one of my preferred hiking locations here though- the area north of Tai Long Wan/Sharp Peak can be very pretty in clear weather, and because a lot of that terrain has been cleared recently it's either very short shrub or just grass, so you can see the extensive trail network across it from the top of Sharp Peak. You can also boat across to Grass Island for lunch. Best done in cooler weather though, as there's no shade in this entire area.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    and (parts) of Lantau have their forest regrown from those original tree species. The AFCD is also making an effort now to replant the rest of HK with native tree species.This allow native species like boars, otters, snakes and birds to retain their toehold survival in HK. So there is still plenty of wilderness left in this city.
    The AFCD couldn't tell their own arse from their elbow as far as I am concerned. These are the clowns who have designated the Dragon's Back as the only mountain biking trail on HK Island. If you walk the Dragon's Back, you will see mountain bike signs on the steep rutted-out stairs. I guess this is a good idea if the objective is to encourage novice mountain bikers to end up in hospital.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Sai Kung park is only about 10km across. From a lot of it of it you can see foothpaths, boats, jettys or residential developements, so I it's not what I'd call wilderness.

It is one of my preferred hiking locations here though- the area north of Tai Long Wan/Sharp Peak can be very pretty in clear weather, and there's a good and because a lot of that terrain has been cleared recently it's either very short shrub or just grass, so you can see the extensive trail network across it from the top of Sharp Peak. You can also boat across to Grass Island for lunch. Best done in cooler weather though, as there's no shade in this entire area.

The AFCD couldn't tell their own arse from their elbow as far as I am concerned. These are the clowns who have designated the Dragon's Back as the only mountain biking trail on HK Island. If you walk the Dragon's Back, you will see mountain bike signs on the steep rutted-out stairs. I guess this is a good idea if the objective is to encourage novice mountain bikers to end up in hospital.
    It's alright, we just have a different sense of wilderness. I just think you can't have complete lack of human footprint in a highly populated place like HK, that doesn't mean nature does not exist in this city. Looking at the ratio of country parks vs built-up area, HK does have a lot of (relative) wilderness compare to total area of the SAR.

The AFCD has a very big room for improvement, that I certainly agree. But I need to give credit where it is due, and they are doing at least one thing right in planting back native flora in the country parks.

Honestly, well done helping people out Katherine. However, I still think your comments were phrased in a patronising way. Maybe you've told the tale so often at dinner parties which makes it hard to see how "rescuing little HK ladies" sounds to non-expats. Yeah I've got a chip on my shoulder, maybe I'm a 5'1 local woman, but it's an off colour remark nonetheless. Of course I don't expect you or many others on this site to understand that, but I hope you will try.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Sai Kung park is only about 10km across. From a lot of it of it you can see foothpaths, boats, jettys or residential developements, so I it's not what I'd personally call wilderness. Though by now it's clear that "wilderness" means different things to different people.

It is one of my preferred hiking locations here though- the area north of Tai Long Wan/Sharp Peak can be very pretty in clear weather, and because a lot of that terrain has been cleared recently it's either very short shrub or just grass, so you can see the extensive trail network across it from the top of Sharp Peak. You can also boat across to Grass Island for lunch. Best done in cooler weather though, as there's no shade in this entire area.

Let’s agree to disagree on this point because I think what we’re both saying in a way is we will try to get as wild as we can.

I still love killing the perception of Hong Kong that visitors have before they actually visit the place.
    Coolboy likes this.

@jgl infrastructure and human impact aside, in terms of biodiversity, Hong Kong is unique (especially for a city), and as we face extinction of biodiversity, like insects, I think it's a ll the more pressing to embrace the patches, however small, of wilderness that we have. For example, of all the butterfly species in China, Hong Kong has a quarter. In an ecological sense as far as I understand, they are very important to the world. I believe there are a few hillsides that are wholly untouched (north face of Lin Fa Shan). I also like the idea of reintroducing large predators and think we irrationally prioritize our own sense of human safety in a way we'll one day regret when so many species are wiped out forever. But it's just a fun fantasy... Sigh.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6