Like Tree35Likes

How do I start investing as a 25 year old?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How do I start investing as a 25 year old?

Hey everyone,

I want to learn how to invest in the stock market but don’t know where to start. I have browse the r/personalfinance sub forum but it’s mostly related to the US. I want to start saving for my retirement and I know there is MPF but I don’t think the money accumulated will be enough after retirement. I need your advice. Thank you.

Best way to start is to start a monthly investment plan, most backs will provide some sort. While you get started I’d suggest sticking to index funds and when you've built up a reasonable amount you can put some into individual stocks you like if that’s what you want.

no better time than now, regular saving is key, don’t worry about the ups and downs in the market just keep investing and you’ll be surprised how quickly it builds up.

shri, coffee_break and StrangePath like this.

Buy property is key, as this is a large amount of your monthly costs, and monthly rentals keep going up. But owning property will help keep your costs down when you are older. Also, don't worry too much about how much you earn and save now. As you grow older, usually you start to earn more money. Just keep an eye on your spending and debt levels and keep them within reason.

Cwbguy likes this.

Rather than jump in no matter how conservatively or aggressively, spend some time and money on some good books and articles / blogs. Like Tom_UK said, the best time is "now" and "now" can even be a week later after you've done your reading and a little bit more aware of how the products that you're using to invest work.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/155/thread345176.html

traineeinvestor likes this.

i think investment in yourself is the key, how to get yourself 'better' and earn higher income if there is a right path you can find..
    investment returns, on an unleveraged basis, goes by maybe 8% p.a. on average..
    if you invest in yourself well, your salary can double or triple in a matter of 3-4 years..

obviously if you don't think there are room you can invest in yourself then look into those investment threads set up by shri and pin and all the rest...

a

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I have been reading and watching youtube videos about investment and all the advice they give are invest in the index funds. I was looking into Vanguard ETF and was wondering how different is it from the US version.

Also, I forgot to mention I have been working for 7 years now and only manage to save HKD 70K emergency savings. I wasted money on stupid things. I also make 20k monthly after MPF and save about 8k after rent, food and other necessities.

The advice to invest in yourself and do some reading is a must if you want to make the most out of your savings.

You also need to decide how much time you want to spend on managing your investments. If the answer is not much, then one option may be a mix of low cost equity index and bond funds which you purchase each month on autopay. At some stage buying your own home may be a good idea if you plan to stay in one place for a while.

With a lifetime of bad investment decisions behind me, drawing up a list of things NOT to invest in would also be a worthwhile exercise - there is not shortage of people out there who will try to persuade you to "invest" is products that are designed to put commissions in their pockets rather than enhance your wealth. Funds with sales charges, real estate in places you have to ask Siri to help you find, art and other exotics, insurance linked investment schemes and cryptocurrencies should all be avoided.

At the end of the day, it's taken me far too long to realise that successful investing is not about being clever but simply avoiding making too many dumb decisions.

shri, Elegiaque and Rob2020 like this.

I applaud your discipline and drive.

At 25, I wasted all my money on booze and hookers.

Rob2020 and GentleGeorge like this.

What's your job and educational background ?

You can read till blue in the face but that will not bring you success, esp in the stock market. Read all you want about golf or music, will that help you shoot par or play Chopin? Not a whit.
    My humble advice, invest only in USA stocks. Invest only in passive ETF offerings. Can suggest

Here is a list of 20 of the best ETFs to buy in 2019:

• Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI)
    • SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY)
    • Shares Core S&P Mid-Cap ETF (IJH)
    • Schwab U.S. Small-Cap ETF (SCHA)
    • Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF (VYM)
    • Global X SuperDividend ETF (SDIV)
    • Vanguard Information Technology ETF (VGT)

And my fav: QQQ
    See what these have done in the past 5 yrs. Make some choices, put in $$ every quarter as you are able, and most importantly, not to worry.
    Avoid mutual funds as fees too high. Try to avoid individual stocks as much too difficult to predict their future. These giant funds are rather like large ocean liners compared to tiny speedboats (individual stocks). Which would you rather be on when the going gets rough?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast