Like Tree14Likes

Mi Smart Scale - inaccurate

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    This is very weird. I thought that scales, whether they be mechanical spring or digital, were an incredibly cheap and well established product and should not be subject to weird factors like who steps on it in what order. Post offices, labs, lots of places depend on them.

My cheapo bathroom scales seem to be highly consistent- I've played games with my kids on them where we take turns weighing each other repeatedly, and the results are always within one decimal place for the same person in each session. I've done stuff where I will stack up two known weights (me and a kid) and the total matches the sum of the two lesser weights down to sub-kilo accuracy. <-- when you have kids, you end up doing stupid shit like this a lot to keep them entertained.

If my scale started showing inconsistent readings within a very short period of time (i.e. weight changes not attributable to food/liquid/clothing changes) then I'd bin it and get another.

https://www.hunker.com/12183358/how-...tal-scale-work
    I did consider ditching mine. But as long as I'm consistent with standing on exactly the right way, and hubby does not use it, and I'm careful to never move in on the floor either, it does a passable job. But I would not say it's reliable.

The accuracy of digital scales is influenced by humidity and room temperature

HK_Katherine likes this.

I've not had any problems with my Mi scale and it's quite accurate compared to another older one I have at home.

But it is interesting that yours failed just when Xiaomi released a new version 2 . Maybe they send a wifi command out to bugger up all the scales so that everyone goes and and buys version 2. But anyway, only $99 is a great price and just throw it away and get a new one!

https://buy.mi.com/hk/item/3192200018

merchantms and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Post offices, labs, lots of places depend on them.
    They have regular calibration schedules to check the accuracy.

There may be some useful information here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeEOUoL3uVk

A simple test of the accuracy is to step on it *with* and *without* holding a 5kg sack of rice.Subtract the two readings.

Even if consistent within one session, it may drift between sessions due to temperature, humidity etc.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi the shrimp:
    They have regular calibration schedules to check the accuracy.
    Calibration is not an issue here- the OP is talking about multi-kilo variations within a day. And the temperature drifts mentioned earlier in this thread were after putting the scales in a freezer. I strongly doubt that a handful of degrees, or a couple of tens of %RH change, will result in that amount of variation.

Depending which part of angle I step on. I get different results too. Typical Chinese quality.

Name:  CB044ADA-CB70-41F5-9D72-CBAAAAFFE615.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  3.78 MB

2 kg bag of rice showing as 4 kg!
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Uneven floor ?

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    2 kg bag of rice showing as 4 kg!
    That's not a good test. Bathroom scales are going to be designed to be accurate within a certain range, and that range is going to be far above a couple of kilos.

Instead, test by weighing first yourself, and then yourself holding the bag of rice.
    shri likes this.