Like Tree21Likes

World's largest Solar Farm

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I guess my point is how this should be done. Battery prices are falling to a level I think it should be done at the building level not the government level. Each Apartment and Office block should be required to sort it out for themselves. This will drive innovation in the sector like the solution at the Shard in London (not solar I know)

I guess again it is my belief that lawmakers should make laws to drive behaviour not cut ribbons of vastly expensive public projects that could be done by the private sector.
    You seem to think the choice is between large scale state and rooftop private. Do you support large scale private?

I guess my point is how this should be done. Battery prices are falling to a level I think it should be done at the building level not the government level. Each Apartment and Office block should be required to sort it out for themselves. This will drive innovation in the sector like the solution at the Shard in London (not solar I know)

I guess again it is my belief that lawmakers should make laws to drive behaviour not cut ribbons of vastly expensive public projects that could be done by the private sector.
    I really don't understand your point. Are you talking about Hong Kong or China or just "anywhere"? Because this is country specific. In most countries with privatised power systems, developers are building renewables. In Philippines for example, utility scale solar is now competing with other forms of power in tenders for new supply. No subsidies required.

Office buildings are terrible places to put solar. Poor roof area to demand ratio and the roof is already full of other utilities. Factories (owner occupied) are already putting solar on the roof all over the world.

In most places the Government should be doing NOTHING OTHER THAN GETTING OUT OF THE WAY. Economics will do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You seem to think the choice is between large scale state and rooftop private. Do you support large scale private?
    I said private should be pushed.

I can see in some developing countries the state may need to step in while the energy markets develop but Governments are rarely good at running things as efficiently as the private sector.

The grid should probably be nationalised but every effort should be made to decentralise to the private sector power generation, storage and billing.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Office buildings are terrible places to put solar. Poor roof area to demand ratio and the roof is already full of other utilities.
    Office building are a good place for energy storage or peak time demand management tools. They should be mandated to have energy storage. I gave an example of the Shard in London.
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-07-2019 at 12:33 PM.

I said private should be pushed.

I can see in some developing countries the state may need to step in while the energy markets develop but Governments are rarely good at running things as efficiently as the private sector.

The grid should probably be nationalised but every effort should be made to decentralise to the private sector power generation, storage and billing.
    Like Katherine I am not sure of your argument. Power generation is normally private, communist countries are clearly exceptions to that case.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Like Katherine I am not sure of your argument. Power generation is normally private, communist countries and the USA (contracted out or Public) are clearly exceptions to that case.
    Corrected it for you.

My argument is week as what I advocate is happening generally except the requirements for building level energy storage and/ or peak time power management tools. Such a huge solar power station as posted at the start looks like a trophy project but I may be completely wrong.
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-07-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    hullexile likes this.

Corrected it for you.

My argument is week as what I advocate is happening generally except the requirements for building level energy storage and/ or peak time power management tools. Such a huge solar power station as posted at the start looks like a trophy project but I may be completely wrong.
    Yes. You are completely wrong.

The point of an electricity grid is that it is exactly that, a grid. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for offices to install storage or any other kind of power management service. They are entirely entitled to make use of the existing infrastructure. It's totally daft (and very inefficient) for every Tom Dick and Harry to install solar or batteries when large scale, coordinated and well connected power companies can do it instead. Mostly the push for solar on rooftops is driven by populism not economics. There are some examples now of where it makes sense (now that prices have fallen). Much of what has been installed historically is just a waste of money.
    TheBrit likes this.

And there is this project... not sure how real it is, but makes sense if they could build the underwater infrastructure.

The farm would generate 10 gigawatts of power and transmit 3 gigawatts via a high-voltage submarine direct-current cable to Singapore.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/au...r-up-spore-too
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And there is this project... not sure how real it is, but makes sense if they could build the underwater infrastructure.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/au...r-up-spore-too
    I call bullshit on that one. Undersea cables are phenomenally expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I call bullshit on that one. Undersea cables are phenomenally expensive!
    That's what I thought. The physics and economics don't quite line up.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast