Like Tree177Likes

Is it time to leave?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Surely you are not equating women's choice with being forced by the state to abort a wanted child?
    Surely you're not equating a bullshit number of 400,000,000 to all being forced abortions. As usual, this topic is more nuanced than that. There are forced pregnancies and then there are forced abortions. Plenty of them happen in the UK. There are also plenty of women in China that think the one-child policy was a form of emancipation from being forced to have many children in their life. As with any topic, it's for China and it's people to figure it out and not for me and you to decide that there government should be overthrown because of X, Y, and Z. Peaceful change can only come from within. The one-child policy has now been abandoned without a big fuss.
    GentleGeorge likes this.

no

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    And worse civil liberties.
    At the moment but clearly much better than China. I don't read any abductions off the street in Singapore - do you?
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Surely you are not equating women's choice with being forced by the state to abort a wanted child?
    This is the same poster who thinks female genital mutilation is OK if women only have an un-informed choice to make.

There are also plenty of women in China that think the one-child policy was a form of emancipation from Mao’s Pro-natalist Policies being forced to have many children in their life.
    I agree that the pro-population growth agenda of the CCP was not good for women on the whole.

As with any topic, it's for China and it's people to figure it out and not for me and you to decide
    Surely if you want to be respected on the international stage you should adopt international norms on civil and human rights?

The one-child policy has now been abandoned without a big fuss.
    It was abandoned many years late resulting in a worrying future for a CCP that is not known in recent years for being agile with domestic policy

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I agree that the pro-population growth agenda of the CCP was not good for women on the whole.

Surely if you want to be respected on the international stage you should adopt international norms on civil and human rights?

It was abandoned many years late resulting in a worrying future for a CCP that is not known in recent years for being agile with domestic policy

I now see that the policies the CCP held over the last few decades (including GLP, one-child policy) was to make the population distribution resemble the Tian Tan temple in Beijing.

Another attempt to retain the Mandate of Heaven.

East_coast and mrgoodkat like this.

Sorry to interrupt - i just moved to Hong Kong, just over a month ago with my husband. The wheels were already in progress for our move before the protests started so we couldn't really back out. Don't get me wrong, I completely respect the protestors. I'm feeling a little anxious for many reasons, and one of them is that even asking questions feels like I'm centering myself in the awful situation Hong Kongers are in right now.

It's just as we only just moved here we don't have any local friends and I'm doing my best to keep up with the news but it's pretty hard. I guess I'm just very anxious that it's going to escalate to the point of no return and we won't see it coming because we aren't as tuned in as we could be.

There is a lot of scare mongering about PLA etc and it's really hard to settle here. We're not well off, we've sunk a lot of money on this move already but it's strange needing to buy homeware but knowing we may need to leave abruptly/ decide to leave in a year (we were considering this a long term move originally)

Also I'm reading a lot of pro protest content and saving / screenshotting / sending to family friends in UK. Should I be using a VPN or safeguarding my Internet use in some way since I'm here?

Quote Originally Posted by HKsb:
    Should I be using a VPN or safeguarding my Internet use in some way since I'm here?
    The fact that you're asking this says a lot about your new home/region/environment, and should be factored in any long-term decisions you make.
    MandM! and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKsb:
    Sorry to interrupt - i just moved to Hong Kong, just over a month ago with my husband. The wheels were already in progress for our move before the protests started so we couldn't really back out. Don't get me wrong, I completely respect the protestors. I'm feeling a little anxious for many reasons, and one of them is that even asking questions feels like I'm centering myself in the awful situation Hong Kongers are in right now.

It's just as we only just moved here we don't have any local friends and I'm doing my best to keep up with the news but it's pretty hard. I guess I'm just very anxious that it's going to escalate to the point of no return and we won't see it coming because we aren't as tuned in as we could be.

There is a lot of scare mongering about PLA etc and it's really hard to settle here. We're not well off, we've sunk a lot of money on this move already but it's strange needing to buy homeware but knowing we may need to leave abruptly/ decide to leave in a year (we were considering this a long term move originally)

Also I'm reading a lot of pro protest content and saving / screenshotting / sending to family friends in UK. Should I be using a VPN or safeguarding my Internet use in some way since I'm here?
    No one knows...

I would think twice before travelling to China. I also think a VPN is a bit too much at this stage, but you never know in the future.

I would stay away from politically sensitive topics and from protest areas. If you live right where people protests, then I'd be very anxious.

Just to play devils advocate...

I hear some people say in some western countries there’s no point recycling, reducing fossil fuel use etc if the billions in China and India
    Don’t do their part.

So would global warming be much worse if there was no one child policy?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast