Like Tree84Likes

Why am I getting stopped at the border to Shenzhen so often?

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Bwwahahaahahaaaahaaaa it seems you havent read this whole thread properly, Even US / Australia (1st world countries) will ask you to show your phone to them, if they find you hiding another phone, what do you think will happen to you lol

Good luck going through borders.
    Never in my life have I had a phone, lap top or ipad checked. I travel maybe 15 times a year. I have been to China 3 times and America maybe 12 times. I am 57 so thats a lot of travelling!

Re China border crossing. How closely will they look at facebook, instagram, whatapp, twitter?

I cannot think of anything interesting they would find, just lots of inane drivel and holiday pics/friend etc.

Seems it would take a lot of time and effort to find something worthwhile for them

A lot of the checking I have seen for Australia ("Border Patrol" on Crime TV) and US (some other crime show) is looking at texts for people who appear to be coming for work (not genuine tourist-type visitors). So they look and see if the person has been texting about job schedules and such. In the US TV shows it seemed they were more looking for evidence of drug transactions (for people caught already with drugs).

So these so-called first world countries seem to be looking for actual law-breaking activities rather than "free speech" type of Facebook posts that the mainland is searching for...

Bwwahahaahahaaaahaaaa it seems you havent read this whole thread properly, Even US / Australia (1st world countries) will ask you to show your phone to them, if they find you hiding another phone, what do you think will happen to you lol

Good luck going through borders.
    Believe me I've read through this. It may be legal but they are still violating my space.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Border controls will actually ask you to log in to your social media accounts, doesn't matter if its an empty phone.
    What if you don't have any?

I'm trying to imagine what happens then... they look at your phone, they see some pictures of the protest or posts about the protests, then what? What would they do with a foreigner living in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    What if you don't have any?

I'm trying to imagine what happens then... they look at your phone, they see some pictures of the protest or posts about the protests, then what? What would they do with a foreigner living in Hong Kong?
    Refuse you entry, send you back to HK and then your visa renewal is mysteriously rejected...

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Never in my life have I had a phone, lap top or ipad checked. I travel maybe 15 times a year. I have been to China 3 times and America maybe 12 times. I am 57 so thats a lot of travelling!
    I have read on other forums of Americans that travel from Thailand / Philippines / Cambodia etc that have had their phones and laptops checked by US customs, probably assumed they are Sexpats and trying to find under age photos etc, Im fine that they check for such things.

You probaby dont fit that profile so thats a good thing

I've been to China dozens of time in the past few month and many of my co-workers and friends have been to China even more frequently. Have not heard of any phone checks.

On the other hand the lines at the checkpoints are definitely a lot shorter now. If I am not worried about HK long term and impact to others, I'd want the protests to continue forever...

I have read on other forums of Americans that travel from Thailand / Philippines / Cambodia etc that have had their phones and laptops checked by US customs, probably assumed they are Sexpats and trying to find under age photos etc, Im fine that they check for such things.

You probaby dont fit that profile so thats a good thing

Drugs also from some of those countries- the US pretty obsessed with at least appearing to be tough on drugs...
    chuckster007 likes this.

Phone check happened to me leaving Russia.