Like Tree15Likes

Issues disabled people face in HK (handicapped, mentally disabled... any kind)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Issues disabled people face in HK (handicapped, mentally disabled... any kind)

Dear all,
    I am a student studying in HK, and am trying to create a phone app to help with issues faced by disabled people. It would be very kind of you if you would like to share any experiences regarding this topic. Thank you.
    -R

Elegiaque and UK/HKboy like this.

An awesome idea Rosie 🙂.

A great starting point would be the MTR with regards to wheelchair and/or limited mobility users.

A few suggestions below.

1. Would be useful to know which stations have direct lift access and which require staff assistance (which can be difficult and long winded sometimes)

2. Also useful to know which exits are accessible as a lot of stations may only have one or two accessible exits.

3. The process by which you can book the ramps when entering and exiting trains and how much advance notice is required.

4. An estimated additional time impact to your overall journey when in a wheelchair due to the limited number of exits and requirements for staff intervention in entering and exiting many MTR stations.

Good luck with your app 👍🏼

MABinPengChau, jgl, spode and 1 others like this.

Physical. Emotional. Social. Financial. A plethora of issues lie before them. Which one do you intend to address?

On the positive site, it should be worth including govt and NGO items which help people in the app.

- Labour department jobs and subsidies
    - Transportation
    - Rehab
    - Home services

Quite the task that you're taking on - may be start with hard to obtain information which can be put into an "app" or website.

Also consider that the app or website should be appropriately coded for accessibility - text to speech etc.

Football16 likes this.

For the physically disabled C Y Leung did launch a big scheme of building elevators around the town. ( A cynic might think it was about improving vehicular flow).

How to get Google Maps to offer a wheelchair option on the modes of transport choices?

TaD_LaLa and Football16 like this.

You could contact some local charities and ask for input, they'll probably have a better idea of what is needed.

For example the HK Federation of Handicapped Youth, or the HK Society for the Blind.

shri, hullexile, spode and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaD_LaLa:
    An awesome idea Rosie ������.

A great starting point would be the MTR with regards to wheelchair and/or limited mobility users.

A few suggestions below.

1. Would be useful to know which stations have direct lift access and which require staff assistance (which can be difficult and long winded sometimes)

2. Also useful to know which exits are accessible as a lot of stations may only have one or two accessible exits.

3. The process by which you can book the ramps when entering and exiting trains and how much advance notice is required.

4. An estimated additional time impact to your overall journey when in a wheelchair due to the limited number of exits and requirements for staff intervention in entering and exiting many MTR stations.

Good luck with your app ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï ¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½
    Thank you so much for answering! I have also thought about what people with disabilities have issues with when taking public transport, such as the MTR. I did however thought that the MTR was already very well equipped, and hadn't continued digging in, so I really appreciate the ideas you have given me.

I do try to make the app to suit every aspect possible, but I will mainly be focusing on the physical and perhaps financial problems. I have found that job opportunities seem to be very limited to them, but it is hard to come up with something that others haven't already made as a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You could contact some local charities and ask for input, they'll probably have a better idea of what is needed.

For example the HK Federation of Handicapped Youth, or the HK Society for the Blind.
    Thank you very much for this idea & for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    For the physically disabled C Y Leung did launch a big scheme of building elevators around the town. ( A cynic might think it was about improving vehicular flow).

How to get Google Maps to offer a wheelchair option on the modes of transport choices?
    This is honestly a very nice idea, thank you!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast