Like Tree46Likes

Does Hong Kong slowly change one's mannerism?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I got weird looks last week when I waved for the waiter in a posh restaurant in Switzerland

bak875, PackerFan and Kowloon Goon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Nah, I still retain mine - like I clear my own tray at McD, thank the minibus driver, offer to share umbrella, open elevator doors, stand on right on escalators, stand in middle of MTR train cabins, when walking with a girl stand on the side closest to road, dont talk on phone at theatres, etc
    Perennially disappointed optimist chiming in: keep fighting the good fight. Every now and then you'll get a little smile or nod of appreciation. Who knows, maybe they'll go on to do similar for others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    I got weird looks last week when I waved for the waiter in a posh restaurant in Switzerland
    This.

As soon as I'm back visiting in the states (born and raised), I'm fighting my arm to keep it down and not yell, "Mmmg koi!"

Jeez Louise my only option is to actually make eye contact to get the waiters attention!?!?

I also notice I have adopted some Elevator HK habits.

When I first moved here I was amused how everyone has to take turns being the elevator captain. It's an important job making sure when all passengers enter/exit the door is closed as soon as possible. And some elevator steward's go next level and press all the required floors for incoming passengers. And the duty gets passed on to those closest to the buttons. The baton is handed and one must make sure they save that extra half a second to 3 seconds for all of us, and close that damn elevator door once the last ankle is crossing out of the door!

I avoided the role due to the pressures of holding the elevator when necessary, and making sure expedient closing is done for all!

Yet now I realize, after years....OMG, I spend most of my days in tall buildings, so how many seconds of my life are spent standing in elevators! How many times a day are we in an elevator, how many seconds, hours, minutes are accumulated in elevators! I do take the stairs a couple times a day at the office it's only 5 floors, but not if it's overly warm and I'm going to break a sweat. Higher up, climbing steps is just not practical, elevators can't be avoided in this city.

So yes, now I'm also regularly taking over the elevator stewardship and making sure the door is held open for last minute stragglers, and IMMEDIATELY closed the second that last foot has crossed the elevator door.

Also:
    I also find it funny how my American people in the US, don't know how to have polite elevator talk in the allotted time. They run over and have to awkwardly finish....Cmon man, you've got 10-25 seconds!! See how fast we are moving and making your real basic polite talk in that time. I never have this problem with my HK peeps. We always smoothly finish the conversation as the door is opening and someone is leaving.
    Last edited by PackerFan; 12-09-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    jonastainine likes this.

Generally, I've become a nicer person to 99% of people. Although a major group of people are assholes, seemingly selfish, doesn't mean that I should become one. There's enough grumpy fucks in this world. Surely, we don't need another.

That said, towards the 1% who deliberately express their assholism towards me, well, that may have a different outcome.

I think for us as we left, we havent changed that much, we always put our trays away at MCD's and placed our litter in the bin, although the biggest change in behaviour I have seen is watching my children do household chores and clean up after themselves at home, as we don't have a helper these days. I saw a Singaporean family at Currumbin Sanctuary a few months ago, who brought along their helper on holiday while they were visiting, it just looked so out of place!

The watch, accessorizing thing etc that was mentioned, to even the car we drive, has been quite heavily down played, we tend not to be ostentatious in any way these days and quite comfortable with just blending in with everybody else.

I am also quite enjoying the absence of networkers in our social circle today, which are all professionals in, real estate, property development, law, aviation, engineering and transport, it's nice having people speak about their interests/hobbies and chewing the fat conversationally speaking, as folks here have the ability to turn work off when they are out and about in social settings, so I really like that.

One thing I did need to really adjust to early on, was slowing down to a complete stop when pedestrians approached a zebra crossings, as I got a little bit too used to just rushing through those when a pedestrian was approaching one in Hong Kong, now I'm a lot more aware of pedestrians and slow down to a complete stop, wait for them to cross and then continue on once they're off the cross walk.

We've definitely changed for the better as a family collectively, since we left, I like people again, which is a good start lol

bdw and Sith like this.

There is no point in having this discussion unless we find out where people are from originally.
    I am from rural Canada and ppl are generally more polite here, avoiding use of foul language, certain topics like drug use = off limits.
    It's more polite here, but not as polite as Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    When I first moved to Hong Kong I used to physically push people out of the way with my arms when they enter into the MTR car before I had a chance to get out.
    In your own words, you certainly were the "Arsehole Gweilo".
    jonastainine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    In your own words, you certainly were the "Arsehole Gweilo".
    I know. I am improving my attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    I know. I am improving my attitude.
    Oh, I don't know. I wish people were more openly assertive when it came to enforcing some semblance of order with MTR doors. People get away with shitty behavior because nobody is prepared to call it out.

But that's the subject of so many threads already.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

I'm still holding onto , not sure for How long though, clearing own McD trays and thanking waiters/waitresses and minibus drivers etc.
    However, very often I find myself telling off secondary school kids leaving their trays on table. And the not long ago, I gave a lecture to the principal of my son's kindy about why today's kids were growing up as entitled pricks.literally no one at the school paid attention to stair walking etiquette and just barged into you from all corners. As a result, she got signs( arrows pointing up and down) pasted on the floor. I ain't bothered about losing face or making too many friends. If i am right, no matter the only one, I will stand my ground.