Like Tree7Likes

Best credit card to avoid foreign transaction fees and high exchange rates?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Sorry I'm not up to speed on this new Citi feature. Is it just a timing issue that you get to transfer your HKD into JPY before your trip to try to take advantage of better rates rather than are available on the spot? Or are you actually getting better rates provided by Citibank rather than crappier Visa/Mastercard rates? Is there still a 1.95% bank fee thrown in on top?
    yes exactly, control over the timing

Original Post Deleted
    Am I reading this as a FIVE DAY lag?

Original Post Deleted
    If you withdraw yen from atm in Japan, what's the surcharge?

For anyone with HSBC who also has an account in Australia, they offer the Everyday Global Account: https://www.hsbc.com.au/accounts/pro...eryday-global/ which is a handy way to get access to currencies you might hold.

I've used Global Transfer to move money over from whichever currency's savings account here into the account in Australia, with no conversion, and then I can withdraw it (or spend it) when I'm in that country using the attached debit card. As usual, the rates they offer for conversions aren't great.

It looks like they have the same account available in Singapore. But also...it's not a credit card.

bdw likes this.

The thing to be careful of with the HSBC card is that the rebates aren't guaranteed - they're not part of the core product (only the standard 0.4% is). Everything on top are based on promotions, such as an overseas spending promotion that just happens to have been extended for a few years running.

Also note the T&C - there are limits to the actual rebate amount:

-----
    Cardholders who have successfully completed the Registration and conducted Eligible Transaction(s) with an Eligible Credit Card for a cumulative Net Spending Amount (as defined in Clause 7 below) of HK$3,000 or above (the "Spending Requirement") in each Phase during the Promotional Period are entitled to receive:

i. an extra 5 times RewardCash (equivalent to 2% RewardCash rebate) on Eligible Transactions (the "2% RewardCash Offer"). In respect of the 2% RewardCash Offer, each Cardholder is entitled to receive a maximum of an extra $300 RewardCash rebate in each Phase. This is in addition to the basic RewardCash (i.e. $1 RewardCash for every HK$250 spent, which is equivalent to 0.4% RewardCash rebate), giving Cardholders up to 6 times RewardCash (equivalent to up to 2.4% RewardCash rebate).

ii. another extra 5 times RewardCash (equivalent to 2% RewardCash rebate) on Eligible Overseas Transactions (as defined in Clause 5 below) conducted with an Eligible HSBC Premier MasterCard® Credit Card (the "2% RewardCash Offer for Premier"). In respect of the 2% RewardCash Offer for Premier, each Cardholder is entitled to receive a maximum of an extra $300 RewardCash rebate in each Phase.

-----

Correct me if i'm wrong, but (i.) refers to the base 2.4% reward (not the Signature/Premier bonus, or the 2% from selecting 'overseas spending' category). That means one must spend $3,000 each phase to be eligible, and even then only the first $15,000 of spending would apply (max. $300 RewardCash).

Since (ii.) doesn't mention Signature cards - and I couldn't find a clause that does - I assume there's no limit for the additional 1.2% those card holders get.

I also assume no limit for those who choose 'overseas spending' as the reward category (but i've put mine into supermarkets, so I don't get those anyways).

Do you get the ATM rebate with Citi of you elect to convert from HKD at the time of withdrawal?

The Global Wallet sounds useful for speculation but an extra complication for those who prefer to avoid speculating.

I wonder if there's a way to use this to reduce using HKD.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The rates are set by Visa/Mastercard. Right now, for USD, Visa rates are 7.98536. Mastercard is 7.98171. But Unionpay is a lot better 7.86227. On top of this, most HK banks charge 1.95% fee on top, but some waive this. Unionpay also waives this.

But HSBC Visa Signature is actually a good card because they give 3.6% cashback instantly. Literally the same day I make a transactions I can look in the Reward+ app and see my points increase. They also give up to 5.6% cashback if you meet minimum quarterly spending requirements, or 6.4% cashback if you have one of those snobby Premier mastercards. So I use my HSBC card overseas quite a bit.

As an example, spend US$1,000 on HSBC Visa Signature, rate 7.98536 = HK$7985.36. Plus 1.95% fee. So total you see on your statement is HK$8141.07. But then you get 3.6% of this back in points, which is HK$293 in points. So effectively you are paying HK$7848. Compare US$1,000 to HK$7848 and the effective rate you are paying is 7.848 which is actually a bloody good rate.

Above example is with the basic guaranteed 3.6% cashback that HSBC give you instantly. If you factor in the 5.6% or 6.4% cashback if you meet spending targets etc, the numbers look even better than this.

So for this reason, I use HSBC Visa Signature overseas for everything I buy. Even a 100 yen drink in a Japanese 7/11 store I will use my HSBC card. In Australia I will use the tap-n-go function when buying groceries or anything. I spend everything on HSBC Visa card and with the 3.6% cashback it's worth it.

Also it's worth noting that I NEVER use this card when I am in Hong Kong, unless there is some particular restaurant/supermarket/etc that has a promotion with HSBC. Because I put all my bonus points all on the overseas spending category, it makes the card quite shitty using in HK. I usually use Standard Chartered and Citibank cards for local HKD spending. This is why most people in HK have multiple credit cards for multiple purposes and if you only have one credit for everything then you are not doing it right and losing out on a lot of points. You need 2-3 cards to maximise your return. I have one for overseas spending, one for local restaurants, one for local everything else.
    Think I have been doing not right then! I use my signature card for everything in HK. Overseas I use a UK card which has the best MasterCard exchange rate and no additional charges.

I never really understood HK credit cards. Far too complicated. Pity I did know the above when I got my signature card back in 2017. We travel a lot! Anyway leaving HK in the summer so probably not worth worrying about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Overseas I use a UK card which has the best MasterCard exchange rate and no additional charges.
    Presumably not an HSBC one? I keep my UK HSBC VISA for a token few GBP transactions each year. Stupidly decided to use it on an EUR transaction last month, only to notice a 3% handling fee. (The FX fee was not marked up). Still... that's 3% vs. the usual HK 1.95%. Crikey!

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Presumably not an HSBC one? I keep my UK HSBC VISA for a token few GBP transactions each year. Stupidly decided to use it on an EUR transaction last month, only to notice a 3% handling fee. (The FX fee was not marked up). Still... that's 3% vs. the usual HK 1.95%. Crikey!
    No, Halifax Clarity Card. I don't do HSBC in the UK.

Guys I can't recommend the CURVE Card highly enough.