Like Tree6Likes

Phone times out before I input the number

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Phone times out before I input the number

As above.

I've had this problem - like - foreever but wondered today if it's me (and our phone system) or if this is a "Hong Kong" thing. Basically, in order to dial a client in Manila, I have to input 16 numbers - 4 for our "international dialing plan"; 2 for the country code and 10 for the mobile number.

Unless I have speed fingers, the damn call times out at least 4 or 5 digits before I get to the end of the number.

It's the office phone (an NEC if that helps) and so I cannot just "click on the number". I have to basically push all the buttons one after the other, and I'm looking at the number and back to the phone and I just can't get it fast enough. Usually it takes me about 4 goes to get a number to actually go... and then if the person is not there.... grrr!

So - does anyone else have this issue? I've asked my assistant if there is any setting on teh phone we can change, but wasn't sure if this was a "Hong Kong phone system" issue.

Anyone any ideas?

MandM! likes this.

Well I spent HK$2.1m on a Cisco phone system that doesnt appear to have this probem. As a bonus, can also set it to the same ringtone used at the counter terrorist unit (CTU) headquarters in the TV show "24" starring Keifer Sutherland. It's also the same phone Trump has on his desk

Name:  ovaloffice-trump-saudiking-20170129.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  38.2 KB

Sith and MandM! like this.

Your phone does not allow you to pre-program numbers into its internal directory?

Doesn't the phone allow you to type in the number before lifting the handset up and dialing?

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Doesn't the phone allow you to type in the number before lifting the handset up and dialing?
    ^^^ this is what I do for annoyingly long numbers where the phone times out before I can get it all done. Dial the number and watch it appear on the numeric display, and then pick up the handset.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Well I spent HK$2.1m on a Cisco phone system that doesnt appear to have this probem. As a bonus, can also set it to the same ringtone used at the counter terrorist unit (CTU) headquarters in the TV show "24" starring Keifer Sutherland. It's also the same phone Trump has on his desk

Name:  ovaloffice-trump-saudiking-20170129.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  38.2 KB
    Yeah we have the same phones for like a decade or so and always used the 24 ringtone 😊
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    As above.

I've had this problem - like - foreever but wondered today if it's me (and our phone system) or if this is a "Hong Kong" thing. Basically, in order to dial a client in Manila, I have to input 16 numbers - 4 for our "international dialing plan"; 2 for the country code and 10 for the mobile number.

Unless I have speed fingers, the damn call times out at least 4 or 5 digits before I get to the end of the number.

It's the office phone (an NEC if that helps) and so I cannot just "click on the number". I have to basically push all the buttons one after the other, and I'm looking at the number and back to the phone and I just can't get it fast enough. Usually it takes me about 4 goes to get a number to actually go... and then if the person is not there.... grrr!

So - does anyone else have this issue? I've asked my assistant if there is any setting on teh phone we can change, but wasn't sure if this was a "Hong Kong phone system" issue.

Anyone any ideas?
    You can check the programming manual for interdigit timer delay, and can increase it. The phone will wait longer before sending the digits.

What model NEC phone is it? Name:  1DC22257-ED82-42C7-839B-FD265516BE40.png
Views: 516
Size:  219.5 KB

think the problem is your 'international calling plan', the one you key 4 digits on...
    usually timeout occurs if there is a period of inaction.. if you are calling a number no reason to have a timeout from t=0 if the programmer sets it with common sense

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I have no idea. Never tried doing that. Might see if it's possible.

To be honest, i dont use it that much; I prefer to skype or zoom or whatsapp... but for new clients the phone works as a start!

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    You can check the programming manual for interdigit timer delay, and can increase it. The phone will wait longer before sending the digits.

What model NEC phone is it?
    It seems to be a DT400 series. Thanks - let me look at that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast