Like Tree5Likes

Convert Hong Kong Driving License to Mainland China Driving License

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Convert Hong Kong Driving License to Mainland China Driving License

Is it still possible for a foreign national permanent resident of Hong Kong to exchange their Hong Kong driving license for a Mainland Chinese driving license?

If so does anyone have any advice/guide on how to do this?

I know Hong Kong Chinese Nationals can do this the question is more aimed at foreign nationals.

Thanks

It's been posted a few times on here. Go look on Lee Kin's website and apply through them, it's what I did.

But expect a 2-3 months start to finish time... I recently submitted for a renewal and 10 years ago you just paid and that's it, now you actually have to travel up north and take some photos and stuff and to schedule that... earliest they told me is some time in late March early April when I applied 2 weeks ago...

chuckster007 likes this.

Can't you just drive in China on a HK or foreign license?

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Can't you just drive in China on a HK or foreign license?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    It's been posted a few times on here. Go look on Lee Kin's website and apply through them, it's what I did.

But expect a 2-3 months start to finish time... I recently submitted for a renewal and 10 years ago you just paid and that's it, now you actually have to travel up north and take some photos and stuff and to schedule that... earliest they told me is some time in late March early April when I applied 2 weeks ago...
    How much did it cost and what is the procedure? Thanks

From Lee Kin website

The China Driver's Licence for Private Cars If you do not have a China card but have a driving licence (from your country ), you can apply for China driver's licence for private cars without taking exams. The Licence is issued by Hainan Province and you can drive In all provinces of China with this licence. Please see the table below for details.

Applying for China Driver's Licence (Valid for 6 years)

Time Requried Approximately 4 Weeks
    Restrictions Must have
    1. Hong Kong driver's licence &
    2. Hong Kong identity card
    Price $11,000(HK)dollar
    Documents required 2 photocopies of each of the following:

1. Hong Kong driver's licence - Photocopy BOTH front and back
    2. Hong Kong identity card - Photocopy BOTH font and back
    3. Cover of your passport
    4. Passport Photo Page - Page of Passport with your photo
    5. Recent Chinese Visa
    6. Recent stamp of effort China from Passport
    7. Driver's Licence from your country - BOTH front and back
    Photographs required Please take photos at Kodak Photo Shop for your licence.The cost is approximately $50
    6 photos and 1 CD
    White background
    Wear dark color shirt
    Photosize: 1.5" X 1"
    Important Notes

If you have a motorcycle (motorbike) licence, you can pay $1500 additional to aply for the China motocycle licence( Licence"E") According to China Public Security Bureau, who is 60 years old or above must have a body check Every year.
    * For more information, please visit Lee Kin Driving School’s iffuces or call 2577 9921 or 2390 0700.
    * Please note that prices may very due to price changes. Please visit any Lee Kin Driving School office to check for the most update price .

timonoj and Dawei_2012 like this.

Hi Chukster, somehow that doesn't look so hard as I had thought, besides just the price. If it was just getting the Chinese motorbike license, off from the HK motorbike license, how much you reckon it would it be?

Update

Chuckster007, thanks Mate, the HKD11k price tag is a bit hard to swallow.

It seems the DIY option for Foreign Residents of Hong Kong is still possible, in 2006 the Guangdong Government seem to outline that it is possible for foreign residents of HK to swap their licenses (广东省公安厅门户网站-平安南粤网-交通管理热点-香港居民如何换领中国驾驶证? ). The Shenzhen gov have this guide which also seems to say the same, dated 2016 (机动车驾驶证补换证), also this guide for Guangzhou dated 2017 (香港居民如何免试换领内地驾驶证- 广州本地宝). There is this dated guide as well on how to swap your license in Shenzhen (https://hk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...3000051KK01668). All these refs are in Chinese.

I plan to just go up to Shenzhen and give it a go to see how far I get. Does anyone out there have any advice or useful links they can share that might help. My reading Chinese is well lets say not so good, so it is difficult to track things down on Google.

Any luck with the diy option? I have a hk drivers, perm hkid card but no home return permit (foreigner with PR). Anyone try going up to sz ?

Driving on the Mainland...where traffic rules are...optional, you are a brave fellow, OP.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast