Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By bak875
  • 1 Post By traineeinvestor
  • 1 Post By bak875

Left HK before settling my tax

Closed Thread

Left HK before settling my tax

Hi all, i have left HK permanently and my company was unable to issue me the IR56G form until after my scheduled departure date. As a result, I have already left HK but have yet settled my final taxes. I tried to login to etax portal and see if I could file the tax myself but seems like I cannot?

What should I do now? Do I have to fly back to HK again just to settle this?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Call em and explain the situation fast.

How long were you working in hk?
    What about your mpf?
    Why was your company unable to notify inland revenue that your leaving.
    Do you still have a hk bank account?

Side note. I have a small business registered in hk and a number of years ago I wasn't regularly checking my physical mail whilst abroad. Inland Revenue F***ED me so hard for failure to file my returns that I flew to HK explaining and rectifying.

traineeinvestor likes this.

What bak875 said.

HK's IRD are actually pretty reasonable to deal with and will generally waive penalties for late filings so long as they see you are at least trying to comply and they have no reason to think you are lying to them.

bak875 likes this.

Aren't employers supposed to hold the last salary so an employee doesn't do a runner?

Original Post Deleted
    I would explain by email. I am sure somebody will reply eventually and then you have a number you can call without the Press 2 for.... My even bigger worry would be that people simply don't get what you want and transfer to somebody else, and transfer, and transfer. There are probably still callers from pre-97 on hold as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I would explain by email. I am sure somebody will reply eventually and then you have a number you can call without the Press 2 for.... My even bigger worry would be that people simply don't get what you want and transfer to somebody else, and transfer, and transfer. There are probably still callers from pre-97 on hold as I type.
    File reference name of case worker details are all pretty helpful.
    flameproof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Overmyhead:
    Hi all, i have left HK permanently and my company was unable to issue me the IR56G form until after my scheduled departure date. As a result, I have already left HK but have yet settled my final taxes. I tried to login to etax portal and see if I could file the tax myself but seems like I cannot?

What should I do now? Do I have to fly back to HK again just to settle this?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.
    You employer has to file your income tax with IRD, then issue IR56G. You can either file tax online or in person once IR56G is obtained. Filing in person and paying cash, you can receive “ letter of release” faster.

Without IR56G, IRD cant process anything. BTW, employer is liable if your tax is not filed.

Did you receive last month pay?
    Did you inform the employer, you are leaving HK?

I have IR56G now, it was issued after I left HK..so the issue is not that employer was nt aware that i was leaving but that they couldnt issue the IR56G in time before i leave HK. My last month salary is withheld and although it is not a lot of money, i just dont want to end up nt paying my tax and run into tax issues when i have every intention to settle the tax.I had wanted to file the returns online using etax but realize that there is no such option for me to file the returns now? Seems like i need to wait till the next tax filling period before they can open up the system and let me file?

I have left a system message on etax portal but i am really not sure if anyone monitors that. No replies from them yet. I will try calling them up and see if there is anything i can do about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Overmyhead:
    I have IR56G now, it was issued after I left HK..so the issue is not that employer was nt aware that i was leaving but that they couldnt issue the IR56G in time before i leave HK. My last month salary is withheld and although it is not a lot of money, i just dont want to end up nt paying my tax and run into tax issues when i have every intention to settle the tax.I had wanted to file the returns online using etax but realize that there is no such option for me to file the returns now? Seems like i need to wait till the next tax filling period before they can open up the system and let me file?

I have left a system message on etax portal but i am really not sure if anyone monitors that. No replies from them yet. I will try calling them up and see if there is anything i can do about it..
    You will have a tax return to file, only after you have notified the IRD of your departure.

https://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/pdf/ir6158e.pdf