Like Tree45Likes

My experience of learning to drive in Hong Kong...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by YOHAN:
    Thank you for the info!

At this point, we are still undecided if we should go with Kwun Tong (near us) or go independent. But through my research, if you go independent or 3rd party, the waiting time for a test is almost 8 months!
    I would stay away from Kwun Tong bud. Well, if it's automatic your wife is learning, they may be fine. If it's Manuel, I would recommend you don't.

8 months wait for independent?! You sure? I only did part C of the test via Leekin who are pretty much an independent driving school and I only had to wait 2 months. Where did you get this info from?

I've been reading multiple threads on the subject... I got that impression here...
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread19811-2.html

Of course, that's only one person.

Questions:
    1. So you recommend independent school eh... will the school also apply for the test schedule in behalf of the student?
    2. Is the 'simulation' part of the training really useless? I actually have no idea what 'simulation' means in this instance.
    3. Is Ryan Chow a good insturctor? If he is, I'll give him a call!

It may have been the case back in 2007, but when I booked, 2 months. It may be longer now depending of course, on how many people have applied for a test, but I would be surprised if it's longer than 3 months. But this only applies to part C. If your wife is applying to do both parts B and C together, maybe it is longer. Your best bet is to either go on the Transport dept website or visit them and see what the waiting times are.

1) Definitely. I went with Leekin and they have an office at United Centre, Admiralty. You must apply for the test date yourself but that's straightforward enough and the Transport dept office is in the same building. Once you get a test date you can go back downstairs to Leekin and buy a package.

2) The simulation at KTSM was, in my opinion, a complete waste of time. They basically show a video of one test route. The one at HKSM I don't know anything about but in all honesty, I personally feel these simulations aren't helpful. If you wanna learn to drive, best get on the road no?

3) I took him for one lesson and to be honest, I would have been happy to have had him as my full time instructor. I was looking for extra lessons before my test and came across him. His English is good and he explains things properly. I would recommend giving him a go and even if after the first or second lesson your wife isn't feeling it with him, she can always go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by YOHAN:
    I've been reading multiple threads on the subject... I got that impression here...
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread19811-2.html

Of course, that's only one person.

Questions:
    1. So you recommend independent school eh... will the school also apply for the test schedule in behalf of the student?
    2. Is the 'simulation' part of the training really useless? I actually have no idea what 'simulation' means in this instance.
    3. Is Ryan Chow a good insturctor? If he is, I'll give him a call!
    shri likes this.

Wow! Thank you for the useful information!

I shall discuss with the wife. I'll look for Ryan Chow's contact. He should be listed in the PDF directory of the Transport Dept.
    I did check the earliest scheduled opening for the tests... Part A is in Sep. Part B is in Oct. Part C is in Jan... those are the earliest dates as of yesterday.

Hi Mart and Yohan,

Thanks Mart for this really useful info!
    I'm looking to start learning from the very beginning and also would like to learn from Ryan Chow, but cannot find his info on Google or on the TD pdfs of instructors (his English name may not be his formal one). Would either of you have his contact details?

My thoughts exactly.

Hello, @Mart1983! Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a driving test scheduled in August 2020. I enrolled LeeKin but the instructor is not good. He did not teach me anything like shoulder check, looking at the mirrors, using handbrake while waiting for the traffic lights and even the position of my foot for brake...etc. After 4th day of learning of road driving, I decided to change the instructor. The new one is good but no time. I need to find a private driving instructor. Can you kindly pass ms the contact number of the private instructor "RC" please? Thank you

Last edited by shri; 10-07-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yhstars88:
    Hello, @Mart1983! Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a driving test scheduled in August 2020. I enrolled LeeKin but the instructor is not good. He did not teach me anything like shoulder check, looking at the mirrors, using handbrake while waiting for the traffic lights and even the position of my foot for brake...etc. After 4th day of learning of road driving, I decided to change the instructor. The new one is good but no time. I need to find a private driving instructor. Can you kindly pass ms the contact number of the private instructor "RC" please? Thank you
    Did you find an instructor?

Here are a few recommendations:
    CHEUNG, WAI KWONG 96545645
    CHAN, SUNG FAI PATRICK 93559292
    WONG, PO KI ZACKERY 92740593
    blueagles, gigglinggal and mokhi6 like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Thank you so much for the number of the private driving instructors. Actually I found one and will have a lesson this week. But I will keep these 3 instructors number and may use it later or pass it to my friends. I really appreciate. Take care!

Hi everyone who has asked for Ryan Choy's number. If you want it, please PM me and I will share it with you. I hope the number still works, it's been a few years.