Like Tree1972Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Closed Thread
Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    To everyone missing my point:

Among minority communities in Britain the police are not known for being kind and loving souls. They do commit abuses. I notice you skipped an article I posted from this year - 2019 - about police beating a non-white man whose car had a blue badge and was having a seizure which sparked community protests in response.

Police in America are more likely to shoot suspects (or non-suspects) because they have guns. And so do members of the public. So it is ridiculous to compare UK, French or any other force where officers do not carry guns. Because obviously people who do not have guns, cannot shoot anyone with guns.

HK police are behaving poorly absolutely. But let's not fall into the expat trap of then claiming everything done in the good old homeland is perfect.

Personally there is not a police force in the world that I as a citizen would implicitly trust.
    I think most police forces struggle with the balance of higher crime rates in the urban poor and many urban poor being ethnic minorities. HK Police is no different. A nepalese chef is more likely to be stopped on the street than a french chef in this town (OK now it;s school kids)

I think on about 5 or 6 occasions when an occasional poster has made bold statements that UK/USA/AUS/USA etc the riot control measures would be much more violent I have asked for recent videos to support this. Nada. If is an easy to spin narrative but not true.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Meanwhile down in the southern hemisphere...
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...KBN1XU09J?il=0

CharSiuNow, AsianXpat0 and Baklava like this.

CharSiuNow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I think most police forces struggle with the balance of higher crime rates in the urban poor and many urban poor being ethnic minorities. HK Police is no different. A nepalese chef is more likely to be stopped on the street than a french chef in this town (OK now it;s school kids)

I think on about 5 or 6 occasions when an occasional poster has made bold statements that UK/USA/AUS/USA etc the riot control measures would be much more violent I have asked for recent videos to support this. Nada. If is an easy to spin narrative but not true.
    Yeah there is a cop in Australia today on charge unnecessarily using baton on under age not resisting arrest : I have no idea who is guilty but the narrative cops in Australia would give everyone a good hiding is false .
    Also Australian cops are not trigger happy just look at Lindt cafe siege : actually they were too slow .
    USA I have no idea

There will always be the exception that goes rogue and to extremes but my gut feeling is that on the whole UK police are quite restrained, profession and well trained. There is also a thorough system for bringing those who abuse their power to account. Of course your average on the street 'bobby' doesn't carry guns anyway.

I get the feeling that in the USA there may be more trigger happy cops around. Not very knowledgable on Australia.

However, the amount of out of control police here in HK does seem fairly extreme. I have viewed countless excess and unnecessary violence videos around on the internet.

e.g. https://twitter.com/casliveas1/status/1197588289772900354?s=20

Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 22-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...909-5/fulltext

Police subsequently assaulted the campus at about 0530 h. At least one doctor who was actively providing medical care to a casualty was arrested.
    As social media messages circulated about injured students unable to receive care, the public disquiet increased. In the early morning, I called the Red Cross and Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) to seek their consideration of involvement.
    When questioned about the arrest of medical aid workers at a press conference on the evening of Nov 18, 2019, police asserted that they had intelligence that rioters were masquerading as doctors (and first-aiders) and therefore these people had to be arrested so as to confirm their identity.2This is doubtful since all doctors were in possession of their Medical Council of Hong Kong registration details and identity cards. At least five doctors are known to have been arrested and detained by police for more than 24 h. The police also misleadingly claimed they had invited the Red Cross intervention (Head of Operations of the Hong Kong Red Cross, personal communication).

If true, there still might be slightest, faintest glimmer of hope. This lady is usually right in the thick of things, so I will take this report at its face value.

https://twitter.com/selina_cheng/sta...27102725836801

Quote Originally Posted by bammunu:
    If true, there still might be slightest, faintest glimmer of hope. This lady is usually right in the thick of things, so I will take this report at its face value.

https://twitter.com/selina_cheng/sta...27102725836801
    The story does not add up in several ways.

- security is very tight at the PolyU checkpoint. It's not just a case of showing your ID and getting in. You need to be on a list of people who have been given permission to enter first.
    - cops don't come to you, you need to go to a desk to sign in
    - I'm sure there are good cops around, but there's only a small group of cops at the checkpoint, so this one would be easily identified if he wrote something down.
    - Why write it down - just say it out of earshot of other cops

Post HK Police Oath - ‘Honour, Duty and Loyalty’

Closed Thread
Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 ... LastLast