Like Tree6Likes

Dependent / long term visa for widowed mother

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dependent / long term visa for widowed mother

Hi,
    I moved 1 yr ago to HK on work. My father passed away leaving my mother solely dependent on me. Immigration is refusing me a dependent visa, advising me to apply for a prolonged visitor visa. She also advised that i need a stronger reason to grant even the prolonged visa (visitor can currently stay only 180 days in the preceding 12 months - I am at a loss on what i can do for the remaining 6 months).

Anyone can advise what are my options to get my mother stay with me for long?

Regards,
    Ravi

Would it be easier just to take her to Macau every so often, if it is too difficult, and re-enter as a tourist?

Quote Originally Posted by ravi669:
    Hi,
    I moved 1 yr ago to HK on work. My father passed away leaving my mother solely dependent on me. Immigration is refusing me a dependent visa, advising me to apply for a prolonged visitor visa. She also advised that i need a stronger reason to grant even the prolonged visa (visitor can currently stay only 180 days in the preceding 12 months - I am at a loss on what i can do for the remaining 6 months).

Regards,
    Ravi
    Courtesy Visitor Visa is the only way. Can you apply for a new visa with a month long break?

Not sure if one can take parents as Domestic Help? You can ask the Immigration or try applying about this.

Only permanent residents can apply for dependent visa for parents aged 60 or above.

I am in the same position with my 85-year-old mother (who is fortunately still independent and healthy).

If that were to change and I needed to bring her here to live with me for any reason, I was going to go with "illegal visa overstay" in desperation. Hoping it never comes to that...

I am sorry for your situation, I "feel your pain" as the saying goes.

rkenia852 likes this.

It is possible to apply for a dependent visa for parents even if you are an Employment visa. It will take s a lot of follow ups and explanations and a decent salary. I know of a quite a few folks who have got a visa.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Yes but cannot exceed studying 180 days in HK in last 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcresident011:
    It is possible to apply for a dependent visa for parents even if you are an Employment visa. It will take s a lot of follow ups and explanations and a decent salary. I know of a quite a few folks who have got a visa.
    The officer keeps quoting that the guidelines don't allow, even though I know someone personally who was in my situation and still got a dependent visa without being a PR.
    Do you suggest I apply again if this one doesn't go through?

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, write an letter to them with a bit of sentiments and keep reiterating why it is important.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I am in the same position with my 85-year-old mother (who is fortunately still independent and healthy).

If that were to change and I needed to bring her here to live with me for any reason, I was going to go with "illegal visa overstay" in desperation. Hoping it never comes to that...

I am sorry for your situation, I "feel your pain" as the saying goes.
    So no health insurance?

Need more info
    1. Have you paid up you tax bill ?
    2. How old is your mother ? Above 61 years ?
    2. What amount is your income , monthly pay AND how many other dependant have you sponsored ... e.g. spouse, children ?

Sad to say, HK immigration has become much more hard nosed, they are making judgement on whether the sponsor ( you) can AFFORD to pay for the expenses.
    So if u already have a spouse dependant.... then a parent dependant would not be granted, unless you can show bank statements with plenty assets and $$
    One way for HK Immigration to test your finance is to see the tax return. Since you only moved 1 year ago.... then most likely your tax matters are still outstanding.

Visitors visa are much easier to handle if and when the sponsor gets laid off / fired.

Quote Originally Posted by ravi669:
    Hi,

Regards,
    Ravi
    Last edited by LifeInHK; 13-12-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: forgot tax

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast