Like Tree735Likes

Jan 2020 - Protest News and Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    "Dec 31, Carrie Lam, speaking to police: “Justice is forever on our side...All HK citizens, even those internationally who for now have been deceived and criticize the police, they will all eventually realize that this outstanding police force...is one of HK’s greatest assets.”

(tweet)
    I just can’t see any right-thinking protester, whether frontline or radical, doing it in the middle of a peaceful march in the daytime.

The listeners of HK Government funded leading current affairs programme have voted for the HK Protesters as person of the year.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04&oe=5EB30CC7

https://twitter.com/studioincendo/st...747612160?s=20

Drone footage showing the first tear gas bomb thrown into the crowds and the frontliners emerging from all directions

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    I just can’t see any right-thinking protester, whether frontline or radical, doing it in the middle of a peaceful march in the daytime.
    What I saw: A lot of spray painting- and smelled even more, having been freshly done. At the HSBC, people were in the process of spray painting or getting the paint out when the crowd of police swooped down that eventually led to the pepper spray, tear gas, rubber bullets, etc. So their narrative that they were chasing/arresting "violent" protesters is pure BS, some vandals, that is all. Whoever broke the windows, police or protesters, I do not believe it was the same group as the spray painters. I have seen spray painters at every rally, approved or not. They are well hidden by the large crowds so perfect time to paint. Yes, if you are painting, you run the risk of arrest but the narrative that the march was hijacked by "violent" protesters is just a load of crap. I remember either thinking or saying, "yeah, there's HSBC, they're gonna get some paint..." when it all happened. There were already some slogans painted on the whiteboard protecting the windows. I don't believe that this particular branch had its windows smashed but I could be wrong. They were well-covered by the whiteboard.

And then the crowd stood around, watching the police (this is where the people I was with wisely stepped back, I moved in for a better look). And some shouting at the police and, as I mentioned before, a couple of lame water bottle tosses. And then the police go bananas with the pepper spray and rubber bullets...then later the tear gas.

Oh and this is why I don't take photos at the protests- there are people doing illegal things and others who just don't want to be identified as having been there. I feel like I should respect their privacy- I took a couple of pics, once, of people's backs, I feel that's pretty safe. I wanted to take pics of the cops (one reason I moved in) but, yeah, once the pepper spray is deployed, that idea goes out the window.

junichitsuyo and Mefisto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    What I saw: A lot of spray painting- and smelled even more, having been freshly done. At the HSBC, people were in the process of spray painting or getting the paint out when the crowd of police swooped down that eventually led to the pepper spray, tear gas, rubber bullets, etc. So their narrative that they were chasing/arresting "violent" protesters is pure BS, some vandals, that is all. Whoever broke the windows, police or protesters, I do not believe it was the same group as the spray painters. I have seen spray painters at every rally, approved or not. They are well hidden by the large crowds so perfect time to paint. Yes, if you are painting, you run the risk of arrest but the narrative that the march was hijacked by "violent" protesters is just a load of crap. I remember either thinking or saying, "yeah, there's HSBC, they're gonna get some paint..." when it all happened. There were already some slogans painted on the whiteboard protecting the windows. I don't believe that this particular branch had its windows smashed but I could be wrong. They were well-covered by the whiteboard.

And then the crowd stood around, watching the police (this is where the people I was with wisely stepped back, I moved in for a better look). And some shouting at the police and, as I mentioned before, a couple of lame water bottle tosses. And then the police go bananas with the pepper spray and rubber bullets...then later the tear gas.
    Yes, I didn’t mean the spray paint, I have also run into that before. Obviously from a legal standpoint I’d prefer they not do that, but it’s a pretty mild form of protest compared to the alternatives.

From the live streams it looked like the situation was tense but had already calmed slightly. People were restraining each other and discouraging any throwing of items at the police. After a few minutes where the police already built a little distance, then they whipped out the tear gas canister and tossed it willy-nilly into the crowd...

Pretty clear which was more threatening to public safety to me.
    Last edited by AsianXpat0; 03-01-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

NPP stooge still doesn’t get why they were booted out from the district councils
    https://twitter.com/xinqisu/status/1...756806145?s=21

jrkob and Mefisto like this.

Passed by HSBC just now, the two lions are "boxed-up"

Quote Originally Posted by junichitsuyo:

Drone footage showing the first tear gas bomb thrown into the crowds and the frontliners emerging from all directions

Looking at the footage I am so thankful of the frontliners, protecting the people and setting up roadblocks the moment popo attacks. Thank you guys and girls (including @hannah01)

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast