Jan 2020 - Protest News and Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    https://twitter.com/XinqiSu/s...05585967702016

2 things confirmed here.
    1. Reuters publishes news.
    2. Never believe official denials.
    3. Protests do bring change (whether for good or ill remains to be seen).
    I can’t count.
    Obviously I meant 3 because I added one more.

rs4 and AsianXpat0 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Won't face difficulties...yeah, we'll see about that. That depends a lot on whether Beijing grants him room to move around in ordering which way the Lam government goes.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 04-01-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Won't face difficulties...yeah, we'll see about that. That depends a lot on whether Beijing grants him room to move around in ordering which way the Lam government goes.
    He is most likely just a place holder. He was born in 1954, which means he has reached retirement age of 65 and he has retired from his last post as Party Secretary of Shanxi in November 2019 because of his age.

Original Post Deleted
    It's not the underlings; it's the one giant friggin uberling-for-life... You can bet your buttocks it's the Poof Dada in his lifelong magnificence who chooses the correct imperial policy for Hongkongers.

Anyhow, Hail Luo Huining! Our new glorious and improved handler!

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Just been to Sham Shui Po. Saw some cute protest-themed New Year's merchandise with Pepe the frog and the pig (don't know the name ) dressed in Chinese clothes and on door hangers with Chinese characters for various New Year's sayings.
    Since the traditional New Year's fairs will not feature student-made merchandise, are there plans for yellow New Year's fairs ?
    Could you tell me where in SSP. I already have a normal version of the LIHKG pig (I think that's the actual name) but a CNY version would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow:
    Looking at the footage I am so thankful of the frontliners, protecting the people and setting up roadblocks the moment popo attacks. Thank you guys and girls (including @hannah01)
    At least some of you precious people here appreciate the efforts taken.Thank you. But, while I barely managed to save my scalp from the popo, folks who know about my existence haven't been too happy. I'm tired of listening to threats and long lectures. At least mine is just verbal lashing. A lot out there (esp. those younger than 18) are physically assaulted by their parents as a "punishment". Punishment for trying to participate in a movement that will construct your future - your nation? I have never been so politically and socially conscious. Thanks once again to Carrie for giving me this golden opportunity. An eye opener ir is.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I wonder how expat cops live outside of work
    https://twitter.com/RichScotford/sta...72350964903936
    Should they keep their UK&NI passports?

"[Wang] did not inform Beijing correctly what was going on here. He misled them [the Central Government] and made them think that the protests here had only minority support, that the violence had minority support, and that the pro-government parties would win the district council elections," O'Neill said.
    But then regarding his replacement:
    Luo, his replacement, previously served as governor of Qinghai province, and was also appointed to senior Communist Party positions in Qinghai and Shanxi provinces, according to state-run China Daily.
    His Hong Kong appointment comes a week after he was made vice-chairman of Financial and Economic Affairs Committee of the National People’s Congress, China’s national legislature, according to China Daily.
    "I think it doesn't matter for a high-ranking official, even though he does not have such a background, he can handle the job. Also, he will have several deputy directors to help him with his work," Tam said.
    It just goes to show the local government and our overlords in Beijing don't really have any interest in listening to or understanding the Hong Kong people and their grievances. If Wang Zhimin, who prior to his appointment had already been working in the liaison office was so oblivious to our concerns and the opinion of the majority, then how could some hot shot from far up north, likely completely unfamiliar with Cantonese culture and language, have any sense of helping, reading, understanding, or communicating about our city?

Even if Beijing wants to sway Hong Kong in their interest, then they need to understand where Hong Kong is coming from. This appointment suggests to me that they simply think they can rule by "power" (whatever that is).

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...9-20200104.htm

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...6-20200104.htm

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2020/01/0...hit-hong-kong/

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast