Like Tree11Likes

Relocating from Canada to HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    Mountain bike not much use in HK anyway
    Hardly. Vastly more scope for mountain biking than quality road biking in HK. Safer too, imo.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbiker:

Secondly, I see a need to have networks with foreigners so I can keep discuss new lifes and daily survive skills in HK. Are there any clubs I could join?
    Why limit yourself with expats when there are 300k Canadians living in HK? HK hosts the second largest Canadian contingent after the USA.

Lastly, can I drive in HK with my Canadian driver license? Or are there anything I can do in advance to transfer it into a international license to be used in HK?
    Which province is your driver's license issued from? BTW, you can get a HK driver's license providing that your provincial driver's license is valid. Otherwise you are out of luck and have to get a driver's license in HK. Go and visit your local Transport Department for more details.
    Last edited by gardabble; 16-01-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    imparanoic likes this.

Really? Where you find them? I need a hotel room for a week or so in HK in March.
    Checkout the Youth Hostel in Sham Shui Po. Can negotiate a cheap room rate under $300 per night.
    gardabble likes this.

I am hoping to keep it under $6K HKD.

Renting just a room. I can live with that being just by myself. Where do I start? Any website that have listing for renting a room?
    here is a good start
    https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/apartments/
    imparanoic and gardabble like this.

you can try dormitory style living, if you're in a tight budget. see link below.

https://www.appledorm.com/rooms-rates

gardabble likes this.

Or, a studio type room (in HK island), below link

https://www.applestudio.hk/rates

gardabble likes this.

Iam relocating myself from Canada to HK this coming summer and I need some advise and guidance. So a household of one person.

i want to live in HK island or close to it. I know affordable housing is not normally associated for HK. Any suggestions on where to rent and what monthly payment to expect? My aunt lives in Yuen Long but is way too far from HK island area where I will be going more often.

Secondly, I see a need to have networks with foreigners so I can keep discuss new lifes and daily survive skills in HK. Are there any clubs I could join?

I have items that I like to move from Canada to HK, I will do this in a return trip back to Canada. Any advise how to do this without paying UPS high rate?

Lastly, can I drive in HK with my Canadian driver license? Or are there anything I can do in advance to transfer it into a international license to be used in HK?

My major concerns, like most expat moving to HK, is the high cost of rent. Besides that, I am not too concerns.

thanks for your feedback in advance!
    what is interesting fact, is that for the amount which you setting aside for rent of a place which probably can't fit you and your bicycle unless your bicycle is placed above your bed within your shoebox flat in HK island, some people pay parking around HK$4500-5000 for their car parking in hk island, even places such as whampoa, parking cost around HK$4k, let alone living in aberdeen, or repulse bay, even where i live in Fanling, i pay HK$2500 for covered car parking space which my wife and kids use every day, car park rental in HK island such as repulse bay, aberdeen, or shouson hill is prohibitive expensive, overall, cost of running car in HK is one of most expensive place in entire asia hence why car ownership is one of the lowest in asia

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    what is interesting fact, is that for the amount which you setting aside for rent of a place which probably can't fit you and your bicycle unless your bicycle is placed above your bed within your shoebox flat in HK island, some people pay parking around HK$4500-5000 for their car parking in hk island, even places such as whampoa, parking cost around HK$4k, let alone living in aberdeen, or repulse bay, even where i live in Fanling, i pay HK$2500 for covered car parking space which my wife and kids use every day, car park rental in HK island such as repulse bay, aberdeen, or shouson hill is prohibitive expensive, overall, cost of running car in HK is one of most expensive place in entire asia hence why car ownership is one of the lowest in asia
    Nope, don’t plan on getting a car.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You can exchange your Canadian license to a HK one a the transport department by providing your HKID and proof of HK address. Takes 10 minutes.
    10 minutes? How much was your bribe?
    imparanoic likes this.

Nope, don’t plan on getting a car.
    You mentioned that you want to exchange your Canadian driving license so you could drive in hk, hence why I am highlighting the cost of car ownership as I have been driving in hk since summer of 2007, but the difference is that I choose an area where it's affordable, back in 07 , only cost hkd 1100 per month in fanling, now it's hkd 2500 which ain't cheap