View Poll Results: What is your notice period?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 1 month

1 2.13%
  • 1 month

13 27.66%
  • 2 months

8 17.02%
  • 3 months

20 42.55%
  • More than 3 months

4 8.51%
  • Something else or prefer not to answer

1 2.13%
Like Tree36Likes

Survey: notice periods and annual leave

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Executive director in small fund management business.
    3 months notice. Anyone below senior management has 1 month.
    25 days leave (inc. extra 5 for service over 3 and 5 years). Starts at 15 days for admin staff, 18 for professional, 20 for senior managers.
    Can roll over 5 days to Q1.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    am surprised by the cannot carry fwd - not quite sure the rational behind that.
    I'm guessing because some people don't take their leave and carry forward a great deal of it, which means it's a risk to the company. Either you have an employee who suddenly vanishes for months, or you have a huge payout when they leave. It's one of the issues we are grappling with, hence asking the question in the first place.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

irrelevant in my view, as when i hire, i hire for a few years (hopefully) but not everyone think that way sadly.
    The role and whether it is reactive or proactive will affect that too. Just i have seen job ads where they say immediate availability is preferred. I just wonder if that is the case for others as well?

I would assume that if you decide to hire, you have a need, and all things being equal you would prefer they start as soon as possible. You may decide to wait for someone spectacular, but the difference between 1st and 2nd choice may not justify an extra month or 2 wait?

am surprised by the cannot carry fwd - not quite sure the rational behind that.
    Similar to HK Katherine's reply, having worked in a few companies, the main rationale is they don't want someone away for a few weeks as that could affect the whole business process quite a lot in terms of dealing with clients, sharing workload and responsibilities etc.

From my experience, the payout is not as big an issue as they can just ask you to deduct days from your notice period.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'm guessing because some people don't take their leave and carry forward a great deal of it, which means it's a risk to the company. Either you have an employee who suddenly vanishes for months, or you have a huge payout when they leave. It's one of the issues we are grappling with, hence asking the question in the first place.
    Of course you limit it. 7 / 5 / 3 days or whatever and for a certain period of time, ie Q1 Q2...

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    The role and whether it is reactive or proactive will affect that too. Just i have seen job ads where they say immediate availability is preferred. I just wonder if that is the case for others as well?I would assume that if you decide to hire, you have a need, and all things being equal you would prefer they start as soon as possible. You may decide to wait for someone spectacular, but the difference between 1st and 2nd choice may not justify an extra month or 2 wait?
    For a big corporate (not a small firm) the "immediate" need is usually BS, unless very very specific roles.I have moved firm when they pushed me to join ASAP, at the time I had one month notice, and negotiate it down to 2 weeks...at the end when I arrived, I waited over a month before doing anything remotely interesting. It's most often this than the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Similar to HK Katherine's reply, having worked in a few companies, the main rationale is they don't want someone away for a few weeks as that could affect the whole business process quite a lot in terms of dealing with clients, sharing workload and responsibilities etc.

From my experience, the payout is not as big an issue as they can just ask you to deduct days from your notice period.
    “The Employment Ordinance prohibits the absorption of an employee's accrued annual leave into the notice period, as this would result in the loss of an employee's entitlement to payment in lieu of unused annual leave on termination. However, an employer may allow an employee to include annual leave as part of the notice period.”
    jrkob and HK_Katherine like this.

Bumping up this thread although my query is slightly different.
    A mate of mine wants to resign from his company where he has been working for 6 months. His contract states that he needs to serve 3 months notice after successful completion of probation period (of 3 months but can be extended) and 1 month notice during his probation period. He has received absolutely no intimation from the management on his probation period completion even after 6 months. Moreover, his contract states that he is entitled to Medical insurance after successful completion of his probation which again, they have not given him.
    In these circumstances, if he resigns, Is it 3 months or 1 months notice? He has a suspicion that the company will ask him to give 3 months notice which he not too keen on.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by garychopper:
    Bumping up this thread although my query is slightly different.
    A mate of mine wants to resign from his company where he has been working for 6 months. His contract states that he needs to serve 3 months notice after successful completion of probation period (of 3 months but can be extended) and 1 month notice during his probation period. He has received absolutely no intimation from the management on his probation period completion even after 6 months. Moreover, his contract states that he is entitled to Medical insurance after successful completion of his probation which again, they have not given him.
    In these circumstances, if he resigns, Is it 3 months or 1 months notice? He has a suspicion that the company will ask him to give 3 months notice which he not too keen on.
    Thanks in advance.
    Most companies don't actually like employees hanging around when they are leaving as they are disruptive. I suggest he write a resignation letter saying something like "As I am still in my probation period, please find attached my 1 month notice". And the figure it out from there. Most companies who are too busy to notice that probation has lapsed nor provide required benefits will probably not check.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4