Like Tree10Likes

Science Park - "Unofficial" / Unfranchised buses & other stuff

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Science Park - "Unofficial" / Unfranchised buses & other stuff

Hello guys,
    I am considering a job opportunity in Science Park which would be a step-up for me but one of the main concerns would be the location. Searching on Google maps it seems it does seem a bit of a long commute - 75 minutes minimum from near Yuen Long area.

After more searching I found the non-franchised (I assume minibuses) which go to many areas in HK such as Yuen Long, Wanchai, etc etc. So this seems like a great option, but I am just wondering if anyone who currently works at Science Park finds the commute and how manageable it is?

I am also curious if you need to book you space. I am just imagining if someone missed the last spot & then faced with the prospect of taking the normal commute, 75-90 minutes. And do you have to book your spot on the minibuses?

Also logistically-speaking if I wanted to meet someone for dinner or go somewhere after work (such as TST or MK), is it very inconvenient to do so? Thanks a lot all

Rob2020 likes this.

The unfranchised bus schedule and pickup/drop off location is here. Many of these are larger coaches. Not sure what capacity they run at, but they are not frequent, esp in the evenings when "shit happens" and you might have to work late.

https://www.hkstp.org/media/6157/sch...19.pdf?noembed

JAherbert and SonicYouth1 like this.

in the evening you can see the long queues, really designed for strict 9-5 employees

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    in the evening you can see the long queues, really designed for strict 9-5 employees
    Thanks for this, so there are no reservations at all? I see Yuen Long the latest is 6.40pm, if I miss this I had an idea can probably pool together with other ppl in the queue.

Can I ask is there are also a taxi rank which is readily available? (ie. don't need to wait a long time for the next taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    Thanks for this, so there are no reservations at all? I see Yuen Long the latest is 6.40pm, if I miss this I had an idea can probably pool together with other ppl in the queue.
    cant say, I have never used those buses, I would guess not.

Can I ask is there are also a taxi rank which is readily available? (ie. don't need to wait a long time for the next taxi)
    there are some restaurants within the site, so there are taxis around normally.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:

Oh my, no. When it's busy, the queue for taxis is pretty extreme.

We go to Science Park to see clients at least once a week. From Sheung Wan. It's a pain in the neck and have no idea why there is not an East Rail stop there! East Rail runs RIGHT PAST the whole thing!

You have to check all these other bus routes that run to places like Diamond Hill, Kwun Tong, etc. They only run during rush hour and the queues are pretty significant. We always try to go the middle of the day and it's still an hour each way.

I think if you took a job there, you might want to move closer or to a better stop with transport (if you will be free to move).
    JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Oh my, no. When it's busy, the queue for taxis is pretty extreme.

We go to Science Park to see clients at least once a week. From Sheung Wan. It's a pain in the neck and have no idea why there is not an East Rail stop there! East Rail runs RIGHT PAST the whole thing!

You have to check all these other bus routes that run to places like Diamond Hill, Kwun Tong, etc. They only run during rush hour and the queues are pretty significant. We always try to go the middle of the day and it's still an hour each way.

I think if you took a job there, you might want to move closer or to a better stop with transport (if you will be free to move).
    Yes I may consider this option, as it seems even Tsuen Wan is a much better option with a direct bus into Science Park with no changes required. But I'll consider moving if the commute from Yuen Long is unbearable

How about any other folks who are working there, how's the working life, lunch options etc?

I worked there 5 years ago and loved it.

It was nice, quiet, clean and peaceful. Much nicer than working in Sheung Wan where I am now.

They have a swimming pool and gym which is cheap to use. You can walk by the sea or go for a bike ride during your lunch break.

5 years ago there weren’t many food options but I was happy with what we had. There are a lot more now.

It’s easy to get to places like TST or Mong Kok. There are regular busses to University station and minibuses to Shatin.

There should be plenty of taxis there.

I don’t know what the commute to Yuen Long is is like.

I miss working at the Science Park so much!

MABinPengChau and SonicYouth1 like this.

Yes, plenty of inexpensive food, bus at lunch to Tai Po for variety...has a university campus kind of feel, lots of engineers...I like going up there. I hang out in the clubhouse lounge between meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    It's a pain in the neck and have no idea why there is not an East Rail stop there! East Rail runs RIGHT PAST the whole thing!
    Frequent buses from University Station to the Science Park, also a big taxi rank beside the buses.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast