Like Tree20Likes

Community Tips and Ideas for Boosting Immunity

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Community Tips and Ideas for Boosting Immunity

Avoiding crowded places, face masks, alcohol sanitizers and washing with soap are what most people focus on to prevent "catching" the coronavirus.

But it appears that young people who have stronger immune systems (as some experts speculate) are less likely to be infected. At least they fare better than the middle aged and elderly.

So, it might be a good idea to also boost our immune systems as much as we can. Especially us older folks on the forum.

Maybe a thread to share ideas and reminders during this difficult viral season of what tips, ideas, recipes, supplements, etc. are useful for boosting our immune systems -- and to also feel more empowered and more positive when going out in the world.

I'll start with a few on my reminder list:

Proper Sleep (8 hours if possible, 6 at the minimum); reasonable hours (to keep a regular circadian rhythm)

Moisturize skin and nose, and drink more water to keep hydrated -- dry nose and throat makes it easier to get cold/flu; Use humidifier if necessary during winter months. Petroleum jelly or some light moisturizer for nose and lips can be helpful.

De-stress, meditation, laugh, family talk time and socialization with friends, count your blessings

Eat nutritious foods with special focus on immunity: garlic, ginger, leeks, onions, honey, sulphuric foods, anti-viral supporting herbs, foods rich in Vitamin C, fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, omega-3 oils

Improve skin and gut flora health (good microbe armies to help you fight against pathogens): fermented foods/probiotics (kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, yogurt, kombucha, etc.)

Chicken Soup/Bone Broths for helping with nose and throat dryness or mucous. Eucalyptus, oregano, mint or peppermint for the throat and respiratory track.

Get some good sunshine, ideally some UVB exposure for Vitamin D production, which usually is around noon-time during the Spring. (This has done wonders for me this flu season. I got a lot of colds and flu easily the past few years).

Exercise regularly or do activities that get your metabolism going; ideally exercise during times of day with the least amount of airborne pollution

Practice diaphragmatic or deep breathing, and improve posture sitting, standing and walking for stronger lungs.

Add some plants to your room for better air quality; go to the park or ocean more often/

Drink in moderation or abstain; Don't smoke or smoke as much

Good hygiene, but don't over wash; Clean and dust more often to prevent allergies or histamine reactions, but don't over-clean with chemicals
    What do you do to help boost your immunity?
    RMDNC likes this.

mrgoodkat and huja like this.

Drink or avoid drink.
    Inhale deeply or take shallow breaths.
    Listen to death metal quietly or classical string quartets at full volume.
    Brush your teeth twice a day or every other day.
    Call friends who live far away and lay a guilt trip on them or give chocolates to the neighbour who annoys you most.
    Re-read a book you read last year, but in reverse.
    Heckle passers-by from your window informing them they are wearing their masks incorrectly.
    Control your dreams.
    Measure the doppler effect of an ambulance's siren as it approaches you, then as it goes away. Code an app based on that data.
    Submit a post on GeoExpat under a friend's account that might embarrass him. Then edit it.
    Resign from a job you don't hold via fax.

tf19, hullexile, jgl and 5 others like this.

Sincere message to all people in Hong Kong: instant noodles/ Cup noodles are NOT food.

Do what Prince Philip does?

timonoj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by balancedequatio:
    But it appears that young people who have stronger immune systems (as some experts speculate) are less likely to be infected. At least they fare better than the middle aged and elderly.

So, it might be a good idea to also boost our immune systems as much as we can. Especially us older folks on the forum.

What do you do to help boost your immunity?
    I was going to say "eat young people" but East Coast beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Do what Prince Philip does?

I know someone that paid a lot money for their wife to undergo a transfusion from healthy donors. His wife was in really bad condition and they were talking about end of life type stuff. But it seemed to help for a while.

I read a lot these days about stem cell usage. Not for the flu, of course.

And then there's the thing about "healthy" fecal transfusions...

Fecal transplant for the win! Transplant feces from young, healthy specimens to old, decrepit specimens to revive the gut immune system.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0604084859.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Fecal transplant for the win! Transplant feces from young, healthy specimens to old, decrepit specimens to revive the gut immune system.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0604084859.htm
    As they say in Guangzhou before chomping down on grasshoppers, "don't knock it until you try it."

But you don't need to pay for this... any squat toilet will do.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast