Like Tree110Likes

Maintaining sanity during Hong Kong's latest predicament?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Maintaining sanity during Hong Kong's latest predicament?

I arrived back from Europe earlier this week and have admittedly not yet adjusted to new "normal" that Hong Kong has become. My spouse on the other has has been here the past 2 weeks and seems fine with it all having spent lots of time with her friends who overwhelmingly hold a Bobby Mcferrin-like attitude to the whole situation.

Luckily we have a decent amount of space while we both work from home indefinitely but looking ahead at possibly a month or more of this and I'm wondering how on earth am I going to keep my sanity?

We managed to buy toilet paper today which was a big 'win' but how pathetic is that? I have lots of work to do but I'm finding it quite difficult to concentrate. Spending too much time on here and looking at the latest data for signs of hope.

I've been jet-lagged which hasn't helped and it's been rainy so we haven't been out hiking, I think once we get into an exercise routine it will help but what else can one do? I was still feeling the effects of the isolation from the protests and just when things were getting close to tolerable we have this viral outbreak to contend with.

Any tips for this cynic on improving mental health? Or care to share your own story?

greenmark likes this.

Spending too much time on here and looking at the latest data for signs of hope.

Seriously, spend less time online. During the protests, I found the constant stream of incoming news craziness was detrimental to my mood. And this being Geo, half the posts here are just repeated arguments anyway. With this virus outbreak, reading about constant toilet paper shortages is interesting and seeing it in person is amusing, but also comes to a cost of my sanity.

Gym, the time to get some personal hobby projects out of the way, walking around in the quieter streets, is helpful.

Speaking of the gym, my gym is being flooded with requests for membership suspensions. I walked up to the counter and the first thing they asked was whether I wanted to suspend my membership.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Spending too much time on here and looking at the latest data for signs of hope.

Seriously, spend less time online. During the protests, I found the constant stream of incoming news craziness was detrimental to my mood. And this being Geo, half the posts here are just repeated arguments anyway. With this virus outbreak, reading about constant toilet paper shortages is interesting and seeing it in person is amusing, but also comes to a cost of my sanity.

Gym, the time to get some personal hobby projects out of the way, walking around in the quieter streets, is helpful.

Speaking of the gym, my gym is being flooded with requests for membership suspensions. I walked up to the counter and the first thing they asked was whether I wanted to suspend my membership.
    Agreed. I guess you'll get your pick of the machines then?

Watching comedy helps a bit, like the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_wodL64e2M
    Gatts and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

There’s a lot I agree with on this.

I’m rationing my internet browsing for my own sanity. If experts can’t agree what chance has Geo got?

As for this place someone (forgive me I can’t remember who) suggested on another thread that we separate out facts and news from opinions and that might be helpful.

As for my day to day life the only real concern I have is similar to many on here. I’m stocked enough on everything except toilet paper.

I’m fortunate enough to live in Sai Kung so I don’t have issues on being in crowds or with public transport. Part of me thinks this would not over concern me, part of me says I don’t know because I’m not doing it.

What this means is I’m working hard but not working fixed hours so I’m getting more air and exercise than in normal situations.

As for Sai Kung town itself it does not seem to be suffering. I can’t be sure so this is only my opinion based on observations. Weekends are just as busy as always and the queue coming in and going out late afternoon seems the same. If anything many retailers seen to me to be benefitting from increasing footfall in the week and restaurants and bars are busier than normal into the late evening. Appreciate that’s an overgeneralisation.

As to OP, patience you will adjust!
    Cornmeal likes this.

This is an important issue to raise. Folks like me with a little too much time on our hands got really down during the protests from the news, also from staying home too much during transit disruptions. The virus situation is just extending this. Folks, take care of both your physical and mental health at this time. I’m trying a bit harder on the mental side; admittedly not easy.

Cornmeal and HKsb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doydbadyerd:
    This is an important issue to raise. Folks like me with a little too much time on our hands got really down during the protests from the news, also from staying home too much during transit disruptions. The virus situation is just extending this. Folks, take care of both your physical and mental health at this time. I’m trying a bit harder on the mental side; admittedly not easy.
    +1

Cutting back on social media and, to a lesser extent, the news helps.

Keeping yourself occupied is a must. Unfortunately I tried upping the exercise regime and qualified myself for a trip to a GP, a stint in an MRI tube and an opportunity to fund my physiotherapist's next investment property. Seeing an orthopaedic surgeon on Tuesday and hoping he doesn't feel a need to put his surgical skills to good use.

Netflix has been a good investment as has Book Depository (although it did take 3.5 weeks for my last order to reach me which is understandable in present circumstances).
    Cornmeal, East_coast and Jackie1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    +1

Cutting back on social media and, to a lesser extent, the news helps.

Keeping yourself occupied is a must. Unfortunately I tried upping the exercise regime and qualified myself for a trip to a GP, a stint in an MRI tube and an opportunity to fund my physiotherapist's next investment property. Seeing an orthopaedic surgeon on Tuesday and hoping he doesn't feel a need to put his surgical skills to good use.

Netflix has been a good investment as has Book Depository (although it did take 3.5 weeks for my last order to reach me which is understandable in present circumstances).
    Ouch. Good luck on the recovery.

Definetly need to do some non-screen reading, good excuse to finish a Vonnegut book I've been kicking around for too long. My home library is a bit light though.

Besides Netflix any other streaming services worth starting in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by Doydbadyerd:
    +1 to that. That’s for putting a different and thoughtful perspective on this

My situation is different because:

Not in Hong Kong
    My household of 8 goes out to school/work/play
    Not a HK shoebox
    Retired

However because of health I am basically housebound so in a similar situation.

Yes cut back on social media or at least the argumentative type. Lots of comedy pages on my FB now. I was a news junkie so cut back a lot on that, too depressing and it repeats anyway. I have made an exception for this situation but still only watch TV news about 10 minutes a day sometimes not at all.

My biggest find has been online studying. There are plenty of free courses. The one I am doing includes over a thousand hours of videoed and or recorded lectures by senior profs all free. It fills many hours and I can be totally engrossed while exercising my brain.

Cornmeal and rkenia852 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Let's hope you don't have to.
    jrkob likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast