Like Tree78Likes

Where to escape to for a couple of months?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I always enjoyed the contrast of visiting Fukuoka for the slightly cleaner and less chaotic streets and while the people there are very nice/helpful (out of a sense of duty?) I also found them generally cold and not very genuine.

I find Koreans are more authentic, some might say also more emotional in comparison, but easy to have a good time with, of course with appropriate servings of soju!

Of course I'm highly biased in favour of the ROK as I consider it my 2nd home
    Coolboy and Mr Chips like this.

BKK is the easiest and most straightforward option.

biffski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    BKK is the easiest and most straightforward option.
    Well clearly the Philippines outside of Manila is the easiest and most straightforward option if the purpose is to allow being in the Philippines. But it seems this would require a divorce.
    HK_Katherine, Coolboy and Mr Chips like this.

so, the current plan is to go to Singapore / Malaysia for the 14 days preceeding my next trip to Manila, and Busan for the subsequent one (should there still be a need). I already had meetings planned for Singapore so Busan this trip was infeasible. Here's hoping nothing else changes in the next few weeks on the travel front......

Coolboy likes this.

Philippines has no intention of lifting the quarantine anytime soon, correct? I still might have to stay in HK this week, but I'm seriously thinking of having a quick staycation somewhere too. I'd need pretty good connection for my remote work though. BKK in lieu of Philippines would be my second option, albeit a bit pricier.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    Philippines has no intention of lifting the quarantine anytime soon, correct? I still might have to stay in HK this week, but I'm seriously thinking of having a quick staycation somewhere too. I'd need pretty good connection for my remote work though. BKK in lieu of Philippines would be my second option, albeit a bit pricier.
    I haven't heard anything. I am picking up that the Foreign Affairs Dept wants to drop the ban partly to appease China. The Health Dept does not partly to appease public opinion. The interagency task force is more behind the DoH.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I haven't heard anything. I am picking up that the Foreign Affairs Dept wants to drop the ban partly to appease China. The Health Dept does not partly to appease public opinion. The interagency task force is more behind the DoH.
    I struggle to understand the logic of continuing to ban Filipinos with work/residence permits from leaving to go back to China/Macau/HK. At least this element of the restrictions should be lifted.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I struggle to understand the logic of continuing to ban Filipinos with work/residence permits from leaving to go back to China/Macau/HK. At least this element of the restrictions should be lifted.
    Because then do you ban them from coming home? That is my understanding. Or do you let them go then the public have to pay for their quarantine and possible treatment? What is the point of having an ongoing repatriation exercise while at the same time allowing them to go there?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Because then do you ban them from coming home? That is my understanding. Or do you let them go then the public have to pay for their quarantine and possible treatment? What is the point of having an ongoing repatriation exercise while at the same time allowing them to go there?
    I thought Filipinos who return have to go into quarantine. Are they banned from returning completely?

Philippines travel restrictions are excessive and I suspect the cost of quarantining people is less than the loss of income people are experiencing now. The policy is totally out of proportion to the number of cases and the general severity of the illness.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

No, they're to be quarantined AFAIK. But in effect, that blocks most foreign workers to get back for their holidays, as they'd spent it all just staying quarantined...and then back to work. Unless they're allowed by their employers a full month holiday. But anyway the quarantine is effectively blocking them from going.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast