Like Tree110Likes

Maintaining sanity during Hong Kong's latest predicament?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Exercise is the best way for a lot of people. Whatever you like doing - walking, running, hiking. you don't need to run a marathon in your cell.
    We often break up the day with a walk (with toddler on her scooter) after lunchtime. This is something we couldn't do before my husband was working from home. He also goes for a run around 6pm on some days (earlier than if he was working in the office) and we go for a family walk on the other evenings.
    Overall, we get to exercise together more than before.
    Husband tells me that in the past when he was out of work (and living on his own) in China, the thing that kept him sane was his daily run.

Last edited by Eva C; 16-02-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
    jrkob, Cornmeal, hullexile and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I think that running in circles for 66km goes completely against the thread subject of "maintaining sanity".
    Ahaha. Well,yeah but each to their own way of maintaining sanity - especially, when you have no choice left . You gotta adapt yourself under/with/according to different situations.

Speaking of non maintenance, HBO is airing Contagion right now...

Hey it's Demitri Martin! Swung back the other way:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6k72ju

Last edited by Cornmeal; 16-02-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Demitri Martin

Quote Originally Posted by ren32:
    My turn to rant! Useless really, but hey it helps! I am an elderly ( had my 80th birthday last week,no partying at LKF or a Junk trip,please read on!) resident of a care home.

So ,no shopping,no restaurants,no food delivery,no friends no family...it's pretty deadly.On the bright side, we are well cared for,adequately fed.We have Dvds,TVs and each other,hard working staff and a lovely garden. Things could be a million times worse. I am going to use the time to hone my belly dancing skills,learn basic Serbo Croat and whinge....
    Thanks for listening!
    Respect!!
    A. At 80, you continue to want to learn!
    B. You use Geoexpat!
    C. You offer positivity in HTML; I am sure you are uplifting the moods of all the others around you in reality.

All the best!

humour - Hong Kong needs its own version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BmbvTvFQ3g

Great ideas here.

For my part it’s the gym and YouTube yoga while working from home.

Living on my own, the most difficult part is not seeing another human face other than on screens, as everyone is wearing these damn masks. I hadn’t realised how important that is to me.

Take care everyone.

Cornmeal likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I bought a cheap bottle of vodka over the weekend. Hoping to make hand sanitizer once mine runs out.

Rubbing alcohol was selling for $90/500ml in Worldwide Hse

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    I bought a cheap bottle of vodka over the weekend. Hoping to make hand sanitizer once mine runs out.

Rubbing alcohol was selling for $90/500ml in Worldwide Hse
    Isn't vodka usually 40% alcohol?

I've read (the abstracts of) a smattering of papers which say that you want 60-75% alcohol for germicidal function.

Notes: That this is for isopropyl alcohol, none of the studies assumed people would be dipping their hands into vodka, higher than 75% was counterproductive to function (water is needed to damage pathogen cells and also slows down evaporation), and that alcohol is far less effective for pathogens than can turn into a spore form.

^^^ heavily, and probably poorly summarised, I have no biology background whatsoever.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Isn't vodka usually 40% alcohol?

I've read (the abstracts of) a smattering of papers which say that you want 60-75% alcohol for germicidal function.

Figured its better than nothing, when you're on a bus/mtr and you can't wash your hands.

i kill time by checking tax department website on when will the tax bill come