Like Tree42Likes

AMEX "The platinum card"

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Just reviving a very old thread. I see that HSBC Expat also offer the Amex Platinum Charge Card for an annual fee of US$550 (HKD4,290) which is quite a bit cheaper than the HK one. It is a USD card.

One massive benefit is fully comprehensive travel insurance including CDW insurance when travelling (which I've found to be a problem).

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/credit-ca...platinum-card/
    Darn. 3 days too late. Purchased an annual travel insurance policy....thx for the info.
    pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Darn. 3 days too late. Purchased an annual travel insurance policy....thx for the info.
    Just checked our travel insurance. For a family of four we pay HKD3,510 for annual travel insurance.

May consider getting this card when our existing insurance expires. Will get the additional benefit of car insurance CDW which I often have to pay for separately.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    Amex fx rates are 3.5% and generally rates are more competitive with visa or mc
    I think the fee is 2%. Looking at some recent USD transactions that seems to explain the difference in exchange rate. [EDIT: I should clarify - this is for the HK issued card]

Additionally, merchants can't even try the DCC trick on you with an AMEX, so that's a bonus.

The offers/features on the HK card are quite pathetic compared to the AU version, let alone the (much better) US version.
    Last edited by cwd; 03-03-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Just checked our travel insurance. For a family of four we pay HKD3,510 for annual travel insurance.

May consider getting this card when our existing insurance expires. Will get the additional benefit of car insurance CDW which I often have to pay for separately.
    So, if you get the card, your family is covered, assuming you purchased all the tickets using that card?

90% of my travel is through miles and I use an Amex CX card to pay for the taxes / charges - is that enough insure the traveller on that ticket, if paying for the ticket using the card covers you?

The terms and conditions are here and have not read them. Will at some point...

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...rotection.html

Is this travel insurance or travel accident insurance & travel inconvenience insurance?

Difference being, if I am hospitalized outside of my home country for illness ... will it be covered?

Quote Originally Posted by GotIt:
    FX rate surcharges on AMEX are typically too high (~5%), though I didn't check this particular card. So it makes sense only for Eurozone or US.
    AMEX Platinum doesnt hit you with a surcharge for purchases made in foreign currency. However, they may get you to anyway with an unfavorable exchange rate. I'm sure some Visa and MasterCard's offer the same but do not know which issuing financial institutions. If you are an expat and wish to maintain your cards in the US its actually an excellent card to have. The Uber credits are however only useable in the States but you can use Uber Eats to send food to your family and friends. You can recover most of the fee if you are diligent especially with the Amazon and Saks discounts as well as travel incidentals.

Be aware that the CDW limit is only 75,000 Euro. You will be over that limit if you rent category L or X or higher or receive them as upgrade.

Looking at the receipts of my last couple of rentals with Sixt:

BMW 530 xdrive Touring ~ 85,000 Euro
    Benz E T-Model ~ 88,000 Euro
    BMW X7 ~ 115,000 Euro
    BMW 730 xdrive ~ 117,000 Euro
    BMW X5M ~ 132,000 Euro
    Audi SQ7 ~ 141,000 Euro

In all of those cases you would have to get at least the cheapest CDW, with the highest deductible, to be still insured and your current travel insurance probably covers the deductible already
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 03-03-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    So, if you get the card, your family is covered, assuming you purchased all the tickets using that card?

90% of my travel is through miles and I use an Amex CX card to pay for the taxes / charges - is that enough insure the traveller on that ticket, if paying for the ticket using the card covers you?

The terms and conditions are here and have not read them. Will at some point...

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...rotection.html
    For the CX Amex card, if you use it to pay only the taxes on reward fights, you won't be covered by their insurance. You need to purchase the full ticket to use the insurance.
    shri likes this.

My understanding with the HSBC Expat issued Amex Platinum is that you don't have to buy your holiday with them for the insurance coverage to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Be aware that the CDW limit is only 75,000 Euro. You will be over that limit if you rent category L or X or higher or receive them as upgrade.

Looking at the receipts of my last couple of rentals with Sixt:

BMW 530 xdrive Touring ~ 85,000 Euro
    Benz E T-Model ~ 88,000 Euro
    BMW X7 ~ 115,000 Euro
    BMW 730 xdrive ~ 117,000 Euro
    BMW X5M ~ 132,000 Euro
    Audi SQ7 ~ 141,000 Euro

In all of those cases you would have to get at least the cheapest CDW, with the highest deductible, to be still insured and your current travel insurance probably covers the deductible already
    HK travel insurance is very limited for CDW, we are often talking about a few thousand HKD.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast