Like Tree640Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...553?via%3Dihub
    A 2014 study in Japan showed that wearing face masks can reduce one’s chances of getting the flu.

This chart doesn't include Taiwan (the government ensure sufficient supply of mask to the whole population) that the transmission rate is even lower

Having been to Singapore on my jaunts around Asia, I can tell you almost nobody was wearing a mask in Singapore. Maybe 1 in 10 when I was there in early March.
    sv336, bobobo, jgl and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sv336:
    I hope you're kidding. Anyway, I moved on. I actually ordered a pack of masks yesterday on Amazon to be ready if I'm called to my civil duty and the local volunteer regiment won't be providing any.
    I am not, I am just trying to understand not judging. Since you admit it is useful, and almost everyone in HK is wearing it. Hence why is it inappropriate, ridiculous and out of place?

I don't bother about these westerner wearing mask or not, until yesterday my friend start saying we should avoid having regular lunch and drink to avoid our mask-less covid-19 ignorance colleague because she can't afford of getting infected. Her in laws and parents are vulnerable.
    sv336 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobobo:
    I am not, I am just trying to understand not judging. Since you admit it is useful, and almost everyone in HK is wearing it. Hence why is it inappropriate, ridiculous and out of place?

I don't bother about these westerner wearing mask or not, until yesterday my friend start saying we should avoid having regular lunch and drink to avoid our mask-less covid-19 ignorance colleague because she can't afford of getting infected. Her in laws and parents are vulnerable.
    Thank you. My "believe" is that if I'm in a situation where I have to go out (and about) wearing a mask to protect myself - it's time to change the scenery. As a matter of fact, I'm back in my hometown-USA and I am not meeting any of my friends I always get in touch with when I'm in town - isolation. Likewise, highest possible isolation from any other situations that put me in a potential contact with virus spreaders. If I was in HK, I would probably wear a mask - a huge reason not to be coming back. It's a set of "believes". Why people don't eat pork or shell fish? Let's talk scientific evidence to them. Although they may consume unwanted stuff when there is no alternative. Just need to get a permission from above.
    bobobo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Having been to Singapore on my jaunts around Asia, I can tell you almost nobody was wearing a mask in Singapore. Maybe 1 in 10 when I was there in early March.
    Yes, no mask in Singapore.

But We can't compare HK with Singapore. Different government, different mindset of the people living there. To start with, just look at the penalty imposed by the government. If HK is Singapore, pro democracy can't be protesting for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by bobobo:
    Yes, no mask in Singapore.

But We can't compare HK with Singapore. Different government, different mindset of the people living there. To start with, just look at the penalty imposed by the government. If HK is Singapore, pro democracy can't be protesting for 6 months.
    I was merely pointing out that the graph shown in the post I quoted had circled Singapore with a label saying "wearing masks". It was not true.
    bobobo, Cheeky Kiwi and Stu79 like this.

It's spelled/spelt "beliefs."

sv336 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    On the other hand, the first half dozen of Wooden's posts were all "HK has it under control, therefore it must be masks, and gweilos all suck" so I've pretty much stopped paying attention to anything he has to say. It's like a broken record. I suspect every single post since has been in the same vein.

There are people on either side of the mask debate, unfortunately some of them are unable to form coherent arguments and just repeat the same simplistic and unsupported lines over and over again. Or are just flat out wrong and have no regards for the truth, as just pointed out by hk-katherine.
    Last edited by jgl; 22-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    Kowloon72 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    This, on the the other hand, is a great post and brings up something new. I'm still trying to digest the research referenced.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

It seems trivially obvious to me that wearing a facemask reduces the amount of spittle and mucus one spits into the air while breathing, talking, walking, eating, and other human activities.

In regular times it's too much effort, fine. Given the still fairly unquantified danger of this thing, the balance seems to me to be tilted in the other direction.

TheBrit and si0001 like this.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but the most sensible thing I've heard is too act like you are trying not to pass the virus on, not trying to avoid it...

HK_Katherine, rkenia852 and Loz_2 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast