Like Tree640Likes

To Mask or Not To Mask

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Even in "normal" conditions, defined as pre Wuhan virus times, workers at Fairwood, CafeDeCoral etc. wear where a shied across their mouth. There is a hygenic and public health reason for wearing maskes. The risk of getting sick goes up by many multiples (catching someone's cold or flu to Wuhan virus infection) its most prudent to take the path of least regret and simply wear a mask. If you dont have an N95, wear a surgical mask. The curves of Taiwan, HK and Singapore versus those in Western countries show that wearing a mask does contribute to fewer infections. The only reason people are discouraged from wearing mask is resource allocation. Best practices are following in a heath care setting. Why would you not follow best practice with your own health?

Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    Want me to wear mask at home? Not gonna happen.
    Take it easy, the idea is to reduce infection to your family or your part time cleaner.

If you are sad alone and can't afford cleaner, don't need to wear them. Kidding. I agree that's extreme, however if you have elderly living together in the family and you socially active outside the house, that might be a good idea.

Take an example for patient 'one' of italy:

When a 38-year-old man went to the emergency room at a hospital in Codogno, a small town in the Lodi province of Lombardy, with severe flu symptoms on Feb 18, the case did not set off alarms.
    The patient declined to be hospitalised and went home. He got sicker and returned to the hospital a few hours later and was admitted to a general medicine ward. On Feb 20, he went into intensive care, where he tested positive for the virus.

The man, who became known as Patient One, had had a busy month. He attended at least three dinners, played football and ran with a team, all apparently while contagious and without heavy symptoms

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...-for-the-world
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sv336:
    Maskers believe that a mask would protect them when out and about...
    No, they don't.

1.) They correctly believe it is better than nothing.

2.) It stops the vectors leaving your mouth and landing on surfaces. Why is this so hard for people to understand??

The main point of masks is to protect others from you... it's team HK... get on board.

/rant on

I was in Causeway Bay today and it was literally about 1% of people not wearing masks and they were all gweilos... most gweilos were masked up.

Nah, from tomorrow I'm going to start confronting these selfish people. What type of arrogance must you have to think you know better than a population of people who bore the brunt of SARS???

To hell with it... as far as I'm concerned, those of you not masking up in public are worse than anti-vaxxers...

/rant off

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    /rant on

I was in Causeway Bay today and it was literally about 1% of people not wearing masks and they were all gweilos... most gweilos were masked up.

Nah, from tomorrow I'm going to start confronting these selfish people. What type of arrogance must you have to think you know better than a population of people who bore the brunt of SARS???

To hell with it... as far as I'm concerned, those of you not masking up in public are worse than anti-vaxxers...

/rant off
    The anti-China sentiment around the world and in the US is reaching all time highs. Part of the problem - the Chinese cleared out mask inventories, in the US in particular. The buying strategy through businesses and designated family members has been well documented. Hope, you are a gweilo yourself or you're asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sv336:
    The anti-China sentiment around the world and in the US is reaching all time highs. Part of the problem - the Chinese cleared out mask inventories, in the US in particular. The buying strategy through businesses and designated family members has been well documented. Hope, you are a gweilo yourself or you're asking for trouble.
    Stupid racism then to blame an ethnic group. Trump supporters probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I'm just gonna say this now... I'm married to a local and most of our friends are locals... people are starting to get pissed off at expats not masking up... I'm seeing a lot more local people muttering loudly at the Gold Coast because it's almost universally white people not masking up...

Maybe trouble if there's another spike and it's linked to gweilos.
    I've had multiple alterations with locals over the past few weeks when I've not been wearing a mask, so this isn't necessarily a new thing.

Most of the purchases leading to severe shortages (pre US emphaisze on the virus) was indeed done by Mainland Chinese but also asshole Americans of all ethinicies trying to exploit the situation. Many of there were also folks with currrent Mainland ties. This is what I observed in stores and also while trying to order masks from here, I also encountered marketplace sellers on Amazon arbitraging the situation by buying out their local Home Depot and Lowes and then selling on Amazon. In calling one of them out by Amazon message, I got a really nasty response back that it was the norm and everyone else was doing it. This was an asshole who sold car parts online but wanted to monetize the Wuhan virus situation by selling N95 masks.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Stupid racism then to blame an ethnic group. Trump supporters probably.
    You sound like an educated person in your posts. Let's face the reality. I pride myself on being near-zero racist and even my love for humanity is getting stretched by what's going on. This is reality and it has only so much to do with Trump. There are many others to blame for what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    Zeman's best friends at the local CCP/United Front propaganda rag:

"A Hong Kong broadsheet referred to clusters linked to Lan Kwai Fong as the “Downfall of the Devil’s Den” in yesterday’s front page."

His latest passport acquisition - that of the exclusive PRC type - makes him no less an Other here, just another (decreasingly) useful idiot.

I don't know if there's ever a good time to visit LKF, but this is the worst possible time. And #wearafuckingmask

https://twitter.com/maryhui/status/1241354801226461184
    Just reading through the thread now. Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics used to justify this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast