Like Tree47Likes

Covid-19: Sending Packages by International Courier

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Did you send to the UK? And were they masks?
    Sorry no it was to Canada, not mask but just generally I’ve found them better and very easy to download their software and scan a QR even for a numpty like me to also use as an address template.

Last one was to Canada (and it wasn’t a thanks for LKF issues gift card either [emoji16]). Not that you’d find me there or SoHo at the best of times.

Anyone has any experience of sending surgical masks to the US? I called all three courier (DHL, Fedex and UPS) and the HK post. There is now an import restriction that all surgical masks imported (even for non commercial use) needs to be pre-approved by the FDA. You will have to include three FDA numbers on your invoice, otherwise they will just confiscate it at customs.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Sorry no it was to Canada, not mask but just generally I’ve found them better and very easy to download their software and scan a QR even for a numpty like me to also use as an address template.

Last one was to Canada (and it wasn’t a thanks for LKF issues gift card either [emoji16]). Not that you’d find me there or SoHo at the best of times.
    Thanks! I may just give SF a go. Use them regularly for domestic deliveries so have the QR codes stickers on my desk. Seems to be cheaper than Speedpost/DHL.

Sent a parcel via Speedpost last Monday to the UK (small box just under 1kg), was quoted longer times due to less flights. Parcel arrived on Thursday morning.

chuckster007 and Editor like this.

I was introduced to an app called Spaceship, has all the couriers. You set the country of origin and destination, type of package and weight, and it’ll list the couriers displaying price, estimated time of shipping and whether they will pick the parcel up.

Ok. So I went to DHL in Kwai Chung plaza as it's the easiest to get to. But very hard to find... Must have spent 10 mins looking for it. Anyway, I found it and huge queue... Maybe 10-15 people ahead of me (it was hard to see, all crowded in a small corridor).

I had another parcel I wanted to send by post anyway and the post office shuts at 4pm so I decided not to risk queuing at DHL and went to the post office. Also huge queues. Took about 20 mins but eventually agreed with my friend I would send his parcel speedpost to save me going back to DHL. They said it would take longer.

Speedpost about half the price of DHL. I could see, in both places, many of the people were posting masks.

This is just crazy. In February they were being posted in the other direction!

chuckster007 likes this.

Word of warning for anyone intending to post packages to the US- the country has implemented some pain in the ass declaration system, you should Google for the HK Post link to generate a declaration and print it before you go to the post office.

Otherwise you have to use a touchscreen machine once you get there, which is fiddly and slow. And even slower if you get stuck behind someone else.

Not sure how long this system has been in place, but I was caught out by it three or four months ago.

junichitsuyo likes this.

I sent a parcel using speedpost to France 2 weeks ago. Took 5 days from posting to delivery in a very rural location.

gigglinggal and shri like this.

I sent my package via Speedpost today. With the UK lockdown they are no longer providing proof of delivery. Hoping it arrives within a week. Would recommend filling out the forms online, printing and sticking it on your package before going to the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by junichitsuyo:
    Anyone has any experience of sending surgical masks to the US? I called all three courier (DHL, Fedex and UPS) and the HK post. There is now an import restriction that all surgical masks imported (even for non commercial use) needs to be pre-approved by the FDA. You will have to include three FDA numbers on your invoice, otherwise they will just confiscate it at customs.
    Went to Fedex counter this morning to send the masks. All you need to do is declare the items are for personal use, not for resale (write it on the package), then can send without the FDA numbers.
    shri, rani, jgl and 2 others like this.