Like Tree232Likes

Ban on Alcohol Sales @ Licensed Premises - Proposed or Happening?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I include that as part of the net loss though. My point is the loss to personal freedoms and way of life, including those closures, is greater than the loss of himan life. It's a misquote, but the Benjamin Franklin (?) "a man who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither" quote applies here. European countries have given up everything to a fear of death. All of us will die eventually, the taboo around death is more disturbing to me than anything else. I'd rather take my risk with the virus, whatever the supposed cost, than give up personal freedoms. (Don't bank on the swift return of those freedoms in Italy or the UK either, considering the parties in power).

Yes, I have elderly loved ones fwiw. They'd be high risk for sure.
    juanalias likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden:
    Wow, you're a genius. The average flu fatality rate is about 0.1% or less. You could say it's worse than the number of 1.8-3.4% coronavirus

Or maybe you should try to convince European countries that they don't need to lockdown their cities, because it's not as bad as normal flu

I've never heard of a western country shutting down an entire country because of a common flu. And I think your extraordinary wisdom can solve the stupidity of western leaders

Oh, and you should visit Italy and Spain, visit the families of the dead, and tell them that the flu is worse than the coronavirus, so don't worry

You should also leave Hong Kong, because the Hong Kong people are overreacting and not worthy of your detached wisdom. New York, London, Italy are all for you
    yawn, maybe because flu has vaccine now you genius. Difference between 0.1 and 0.2 is nothing when it comes to it. Flu used to kill millions of people until they developed an immunity to it. In comparison Covid is not strong at all.

Why are entire countries locking down all around? Social media, media outrage etc.....
    I also helps clearing the wave of protests worldwide, I'm sure many governments are more than happy with it!
    The 2008 financial crisis killed more than that and look who made the big bucks. They're the one sitting taking the decisions. Looking at numbers this is not our biggest problem, wait until half of the families have no jobs and food because HK government doesn't provide social net. Now that is going to be a shit show.
    Kowloon72 and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If you go to a bar area known for expats you see a lot of expats without masks

If you go to a drinking den in Mongkok you see a lot of locals without masks

It is a drinking culture issue not a skin colour issue.
    The behavior of the locals as you speak is certainly to blame, and at this juncture all these social activities should be stopped

But if you look at the local cases in Hong Kong, the cases of infection through the social activities of local cultures are relatively easy to trace. They typically just interact with the event participants.

But the case of bars and pubs is different. Case no. 217, he continued to visit central for at least 3 days after his illness. He visited the LKF area and soho. He visited 6 streets in central and 9 venues. And they all interact with different people in bars or at parties and this makes it difficult to trace the source or the spread of the virus later

Due to the nature of the social venue, strict control of bars, pubs and party rooms is a must
    juanalias likes this.

The same is true of other LKF cases. The staff of the international school also went to many bars and interacted with many unknown people. Health workers in Hong Kong frankly said they couldn't find all their close contacts in such cases that makes the tracing work very difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    I include that as part of the net loss though. My point is the loss to personal freedoms and way of life, including those closures, is greater than the loss of himan life. It's a misquote, but the Benjamin Franklin (?) "a man who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither" quote applies here. European countries have given up everything to a fear of death. All of us will die eventually, the taboo around death is more disturbing to me than anything else. I'd rather take my risk with the virus, whatever the supposed cost, than give up personal freedoms. (Don't bank on the swift return of those freedoms in Italy or the UK either, considering the parties in power).

Yes, I have elderly loved ones fwiw. They'd be high risk for sure.
    deleted
    Last edited by Wooden; 24-03-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: wrong reply

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    yawn, maybe because flu has vaccine now you genius. Difference between 0.1 and 0.2 is nothing when it comes to it. Flu used to kill millions of people until they developed an immunity to it. In comparison Covid is not strong at all.

Why are entire countries locking down all around? Social media, media outrage etc.....
    I also helps clearing the wave of protests worldwide, I'm sure many governments are more than happy with it!
    The 2008 financial crisis killed more than that and look who made the big bucks. They're the one sitting taking the decisions. Looking at numbers this is not our biggest problem, wait until half of the families have no jobs and food because HK government doesn't provide social net. Now that is going to be a shit show.
    First, the difference between 0.1 and 0.2 was double the number of deaths, and the difference between 0.1 and 3.4 was 34 times the number of deaths

The death rate for current data is calculated under the normal operation of the health care system. When the number of coronavirus infections is as large as that of influenza, the global health care system will completely collapse, and the death rate will be of course more than 3.4

Not to mention that other patients who need the health care system will die because the system fails

The transmission rate of influenza is R1.4, which means that after 10 rounds of infection, the virus can increase from 1 to 28 people

The rate of transmission of coronavirus is R3, that is, after 10 rounds of infection, it can increase from 1 to 59,000 individuals

The spread of coronavirus is even more dramatic.

I think you might as well go to the UK and help them build herd immunity at the cost of millions of lives in exchange for the safety of the last 20% of the people

Oh, I forgot to tell you,SARS patients can only maintain antibodies for 2 years. That is, 3 years later, they can be re-infected with SARS. This virus is a close relative of SARS, and no one knows if the number of years of antibody retention is the same as SARS
    If so, the herd immunity programme in Britain is useless
    kimwy66 and ArrynField like this.

Did anyone here consider that announcing the closure of bars yesterday served to invite a lot of discourse amongst locals, expats, third-culture kids et al....enough to distract from the likely announcement today that Hong Kong will begin a curfew for the foreseeable future?

I mean, we all knew it was coming, right? We knew....last week, right?

Mr Chips likes this.

So we bought a box of beer for the office, as we had run out- there are some clients that necessitate having alcohol on hand. Some we drink with (the nice ones) and some we need a drink after they go or after they call (fortunately, not too many of those). And inside was this very nice-quality glass. 8 bottles and the glass for 90 dollars- so we went back and bought 3 more (Sheung Wan Fusion). Seems fitting at this time of becoming a dry town. Can lure clients in with a chill one...

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden:
    The same is true of other LKF cases. The staff of the international school also went to many bars and interacted with many unknown people. Health workers in Hong Kong frankly said they couldn't find all their close contacts in such cases that makes the tracing work very difficult
    The same is true for groups going out drinking all over this city and other cities. I take it you haven't been to bars on vertical crawl from the 8th-14th floors of a dodgy building.

It is a drinking culture not a skin colour issue.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The same is true for groups going out drinking all over this city and other cities. I take it you haven't been to bars on vertical crawl from the 8th-14th floors of a dodgy building.

It is a drinking culture not a skin colour issue.
    So I said all bars and parties should stop immediately. It's not about race. It is about foreigners and locals who continue to participate such activities.
    Past cases have shown that those activities are high-risk. Is it so hard to understand?
    Mr Chips likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast