Like Tree232Likes

Ban on Alcohol Sales @ Licensed Premises - Proposed or Happening?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Eh? Koreans drink like fish. We're talking 8+ hour sessions, no skipping rounds, spirts and beer mixed throughout the night, multiple times a week, and expecting to be in work the next day (granted, this tradition is dying out, 10+ years ago still very much the norm).
    mrgoodkat, rs4, Skyhook and 2 others like this.

It is very rare for Expats to face racism in Hong Kong. HK locals, typically are very warm towards Expats.

HK'ers are very direct. When you are typically called a Gwai Lo, it's more of a term of endearment.

Wearing a mask in HK is a cultural / preventative measure.

If you don't wear a mask, expect weird glances, regardless if you're a local or expat....

When in Rome, do what Romans do...

Use of facemasks
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...134-X/fulltext

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

Chinese in UK, USA, whether emigrated or born/bred in these countries typically endure constant verbal derogatory abuse:-

Chink, Chinky, Ching Chong Chinaman, Egg Foo Yung, Sweet & Sour Pork, Special flied lice....

With the Covid19, Chinese worldwide endure abuse and physical attacks. If there's a wiki page for racism derived from Covid19, then that shows how bad it is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...virus_pandemic

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-51771355

Surely they need to get this legislation in place before the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    It is very rare for Expats to face racism in Hong Kong. HK locals, typically are very warm towards Expats.
    Disagree... The problem is that many seem to think that racism must equate hate. Racism is having a prejudice against a race that often stems from a belief of superiority. That your race is better than another. It doesn't have to lead to hate. I think that many if not most expats on here believe themselves better than the local populace which often comes through in posts whether it's about manners or levels of English or being better drinkers or a variety of other things... How often have I heard expats say that local HKers are racists which in itself is a racist statement or even better, I am not racists, I have friends who are... which is irrelevant. Many HKer also come through as believing themselves better than expat in a variety of stereotyped situation like work ethic, study habits, discipline etc...

Racism is a fact of life in multicultural societies, no one likes the label and very few accept the fact that virtually everyone has biases and say or do things that are racists. That doesn't mean it has to be hateful or malicious, it's simply human. An easy test is to ask yourself if you would say a particular thing to the face of someone of that race and whether that might be well received.
    Kowloon72 likes this.

I'm just commenting that the degree of racism faced by Chinese abroad is not to the same level experienced by Expats in HK....

IMO some HK'ers are typically more xenophobic towards their counterparts over the border and more friendly towards Expats.

I've experienced negative racism in Hong Kong. It doesn't 'bother' me, but I'm sure the term 'Gweilo' is racist... aside from the fact that, despite how I look, I'm not a 'gweilo' by some definitions, it's certainly derogatory in some contexts.

On several occasions I have been quoted higher prices than my local friends. I suspect this has probably happened many more times than I'm aware of.

Again, this doesn't bother me, but many times I've been asked, "Where are you from?"... so I say, "Tuen Mun!"... "Where are you really from?"... I don't actually have a problem with that but I'm reliably informed that people who ask that are literally Hitler.

I can't buy shoes in my size and the shopkeepers think it's hilarious!
    Before you ask, sadly, in my case, big shoes simply means big feet...

People ask me if I can use chopsticks or they're amazed when they see me using them.

Local people who I have known for over 10 years still feel the need to tell me, "This is Hong Kong."... I'm 'othered'... (I think that's right.).

The Principal at the local school I work at introduces me to everyone as American... I've worked there for 10 years, I'm British.

A police officer who was harassing us for street performing berated me, "You foreigners!"... I pointed out that I am a PR and had been here for over a decade... "Can you speak Cantonese?", he shouted back at me angrily.

A landlord once refused to rent a house to me when he found out I was 'western'.

Just what I can think of off the top of my head... oh yeah, the whole pushing in between me and my family thing, or being asked for my ticket at the cinema even though my (Chinese) wife has just showed them two... I believe these are called 'micro-aggressions'...

On the other hand, security guards offer me little resistance and I've been waved on by police after being pulled over for various minor driving indiscretions...

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:

Racism is a fact of life in multicultural societies, no one likes the label and very few accept the fact that virtually everyone has biases and say or do things that are racists. .
    I think racism/discrimination/sexism/patriarchal or matriarchal bias etc, is more overtly prevalent in Homogeneous societies. Hence why the term, when in Rome, do as Romans do, applied.
    Politics aside....
    Multi-Cultural societies generally have made a lot of progress (effort) legally speaking at dealing with racism, sexism, equal opportunity and anti discrimination etc.

In Hong Kong’s case the racism is of the positive type vexed at Faan Gwei, as we are perceived as being walking wallets full of cash, ergo tolerated. I was told by a drunken local once that, ‘ I must live on The Peak and Earn more than a million HKD ‘ lol as per the traditional stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    I'm just commenting that the degree of racism faced by Chinese abroad is not to the same level experienced by Expats in HK....

IMO some HK'ers are typically more xenophobic towards their counterparts over the border and more friendly towards Expats.
    I think it has more to do with class than anything else. Just by virtue of HK not being an immigrant country and most expats coming here as professionals they tend to be around more educated and cosmopolitan people. I'm sure an Asian doctor in the US experiences far less racism than a taxi driver or the guy running a corner store too. Lower class HK is probably just as racist than lower class US. Just look at how Mainlanders get treated, that's not racism, it's classism.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I've experienced negative racism in Hong Kong. It doesn't 'bother' me, but I'm sure the term 'Gweilo' is racist... aside from the fact that, despite how I look, I'm not a 'gweilo' by some definitions, it's certainly derogatory in some contexts.

On several occasions I have been quoted higher prices than my local friends. I suspect this has probably happened many more times than I'm aware of.

Again, this doesn't bother me, but many times I've been asked, "Where are you from?"... so I say, "Tuen Mun!"... "Where are you really from?"... I don't actually have a problem with that but I'm reliably informed that people who ask that are literally Hitler.

I can't buy shoes in my size and the shopkeepers think it's hilarious!
    Before you ask, sadly, in my case, big shoes simply means big feet...

People ask me if I can use chopsticks or they're amazed when they see me using them.

Local people who I have known for over 10 years still feel the need to tell me, "This is Hong Kong."... I'm 'othered'... (I think that's right.).

The Principal at the local school I work at introduces me to everyone as American... I've worked there for 10 years, I'm British.

A police officer who was harassing us for street performing berated me, "You foreigners!"... I pointed out that I am a PR and had been here for over a decade... "Can you speak Cantonese?", he shouted back at me angrily.

A landlord once refused to rent a house to me when he found out I was 'western'.

Just what I can think of off the top of my head... oh yeah, the whole pushing in between me and my family thing, or being asked for my ticket at the cinema even though my (Chinese) wife has just showed them two... I believe these are called 'micro-aggressions'...

On the other hand, security guards offer me little resistance and I've been waved on by police after being pulled over for various minor driving indiscretions...
    Agree with all you say there. I think another reason 'Racism' appears more prevalent in China/Hong Kong and maybe other Asian countries is that they are far less 'Multi Cultural' than some western countries like UK or USA, particularly in certain cities like London. Therefore as a Westerner you 'stick out'. It may be less so for other Asians in China as the physical difference is less pronounced.

I don't have a problem with this personally. I specifically chose to live somewhere less 'expat' in Hong Kong because I wanted to have a little more of a 'local' experience.
    Mr Chips likes this.