View Poll Results: Will there be a lock-down in HK?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • No!

11 25.00%
  • Yes, but not as strict as the UK (aka, with HK characteristics)

25 56.82%
  • Yes. It has to happen.

8 18.18%
Like Tree100Likes

Will there be a UK style lock-down in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Tthe lockdown might kill the virus but confinement will definitely kill the economy. Now in Europe you can get away since you get government money, but in HK with no social net it is going to indirectly kill more people and lives in the long term. Unless the government does something, not next year but now! Which, knowing the government, will not happen!
    One move would be to convert university premises or sports facilities which are not currently being used into centres for the homeless (and semi-homeless like cage dwellers). It doesn't take a major effort and great thinking to come up with practical ideas.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    One move would be to convert university premises or sports facilities which are not currently being used into centres for the homeless (and semi-homeless like cage dwellers). It doesn't take a major effort and great thinking to come up with practical ideas.
    yes that would be a great idea, but they're probably busy trying to justify building a 200 million Memorial fountain for the victims of coronavirus and get their cousin's company to build it!

At this rate they'll have empty malls they can use since most shops would have closed down.
    Kowloon72 likes this.

Slightly OT as I was not here in 2003 - historically do we have good examples of government stimulus packages (not the 6k handouts)[/QUOTE]

The only stimulus I remember after Sars was seeing the Stones at HarbourFest!

Yeah I think so. Phase 1 likely by the end of this week (booze ban combined with all restaurants closing at a certain time, something like this), then further measures next week after assessing the ways in which people are still gathering over the weekend.

I'd take a short sharp jolt of a full 2 week lock down now. Get it over and done with. The travel restricitons from then on should be enough to stem further outbreaks. It'll be death by a thousand cuts though with restricitons coming in bit by bit, therefore extending the initial restrictions for months.

A significant minority will lap this up though. People without active or meaningful lives that spend all day infront of pearl will be giddy at the thought everyone else is being brought down a peg. Misery loves company. This isn't a HK phenomenon either, very much prevalent in the UK also.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Yeah I think so. Phase 1 likely by the end of this week (booze ban combined with all restaurants closing at a certain time, something like this), then further measures next week after assessing the ways in which people are still gathering over the weekend.

I'd take a short sharp jolt of a full 2 week lock down now. Get it over and done with. The travel restricitons from then on should be enough to stem further outbreaks. It'll be death by a thousand cuts though with restricitons coming in bit by bit, therefore extending the initial restrictions for months.

A significant minority will lap this up though. People without active or meaningful lives that spend all day infront of pearl will be giddy at the thought everyone else is being brought down a peg. Misery loves company. This isn't a HK phenomenon either, very much prevalent in the UK also.
    That is a very strange view of humanity. I know of no one with that attitude and I would imagine it is a one in a million. The fact that that is at the forefront of your mind is concerning.
    TheBrit and chingleutsch like this.

How can anyone trust a government official (that would be Lam which I can't call a leader) that says on one side of her mouth that we can't discriminate against people coming from China and refused to stop arrivals and then a few weeks later closes the border to non resident and STILL allows for citizens from China to come in. She has shown time and time again that she does not care one bit about the people of HK and is only concerned about being a good puppet that follows directives from her masters in Beijing.

No wonder she hides in her ivory tower, she's likely the most reviled person in this town. I don't know how she can look at herself in the mirror.

That is a very strange view of humanity. I know of no one with that attitude and I would imagine it is a one in a million. The fact that that is at the forefront of your mind is concerning.
    Speaks a man without access to the Ma Wan network (specifically the Chinese language version).

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Speaks a man without access to the Ma Wan network (specifically the Chinese language version).
    What has that to do with anything?

That's now wrong. Ed Sheeran's Shape of you has 4.8Billion views, which is more than the Wiz Khalifa one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8

What has that to do with anything?
    It was a joke. As in, the ma wan network, a social media page for ma wan, is filled with the type of people I alluded to in my previous post. As are many FB groups tbf.

Each individual's experience of the world is of course going to be different and subjective. Your idea of strange will be someone else's normal, and vice versa. I personally am amazed at the explosion of ideological purity over the UK lockdown, people willingly handing over their civil liberties to a government who, at the very least, has some very dangerous advisors. I think part of it is that people who once saw cancel culture as the preserve of young liberals, now have the chance to participate in it themselves. And there is no zealot like a convert. Mental some of the shit I see on whatsapp of "social distance shaming".

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast