Like Tree11Likes

Quitting job with remaining work visa - traveling

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Quitting job with remaining work visa - traveling

Hi everyone.

I have vaild work visa until 2021 September, and I recently had to quit my job for personal/health issue. I need to go back to my home country for a bit (1-2 weeks) and come back to Hong Kong and find a new job.

I read that even after my current employer terminate my sponsorship, my work visa itself will remain valid (while I cannot work during this time) until I find a new employer and go through change of sponsorship.

Now, I see conflicting stories about traveling in and out HK during that period when you do not have visa sponsor but has a work visa.

Most of my friends said they had no problem and kept their work visa until they found a new employer. But on the internet I see people saying that your work visa might get cancelled and you have to enter as a tourist visa.

Could anyone clarify this?

Thank you so much.

Never heard of work visas being arbitrarily cancelled.

Unlikely that immigration policy is changing drastically right now.

Probably best to call Immigration directly if you are really concerned.

As far as I know the work visa remains active until the visa expiration date.

Your friends are correct that a new employer would have to apply for a change of sponsorship if you are able to find a new employer.

New entry requirements into HK as of 25MAR for non-citizens and a few other special categories are a HKID and valid non-tourist visa.

So you should be fine.

Jamong and shri like this.

been there done that. Absolutely no problems, you'll keep the visa valid but will need a visa transfer, which is basically like applying for a new work visa in order to change the name of the employer.
    As long as you don't leave HK for 6 months you can keep extending visa to get the PR.

Jamong likes this.

Thank you so much.

I have another concern - my HKID never worked at immigration and I always had to go to the “traditional” counter and the officer would check my visa and let me in as a resident.

Even after I leave my current employer and come back to HK with work visa but without sponsorship, I would still be able to enter, correct?

Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamong:
    Thank you so much.

I have another concern - my HKID never worked at immigration and I always had to go to the “traditional” counter and the officer would check my visa and let me in as a resident.

Even after I leave my current employer and come back to HK with work visa but without sponsorship, I would still be able to enter, correct?

Thank you so much.
    what type of work were you doing? I find it weird your hkid won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamong:
    Thank you so much.

Thank you so much.
    I had the same issue for ages. It has a very simple solution and isn't a real problem.

Your HKID is supposed to by synced to your work visa.

This doesn't always happen automatically.

Next time you go through the airport, you can mention to Immigration staff that you can't use the automated entry and they will sync it for you.

Entire process should take under 10 minutes.

It isn't a reflection of your 'residency status', just an inconvenient data mismatch.

And yes you should be fine leaving and returning, even after you leave your current employer, as long as your work visa is still valid AND you have a HKID.

Save your worrying for something else right now
    jack55, Jamong, rkenia852 and 1 others like this.

I have valid working visa (General Employee Visa) - I work for a multinational Luxury company and the visa itself is valid.

I believe it is just the card issue, which I want to resolve before I travel just to eliminate any chance I might get in to trouble when I come back... Should I go to the immigration office for that?

Omg thank you so much! I will definitely do that next time Do you think I can sync that at the immigration office as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TaD_LaLa:
    Your HKID is supposed to by synced to your work visa.
    The visa is tied to the passport.

The HKID is not linked to either a visa or passport (but you usually need both to apply for an ID card).

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    The visa is tied to the passport.

The HKID is not linked to either a visa or passport (but you usually need both to apply for an ID card).

Then how could people enter HK with just HKID without the HKID having your VISA information...?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast