Like Tree43Likes

Life goals?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Life goals?

I'm happy and healthy with enough wealth to live comfortably. I have two great kids, a wife I adore and a job I enjoy doing.

I don't mean to toot my own horn here and I live everyday knowing it could all be taken away from me in an instant... but what more to life is there?

Volunteer, help others, give to charity, find spirituality? Not a big fan of travelling, so perhaps overcome my laziness and do that ONCE this virus is gone?

Suggestions, go!

Life goals is a lofty idea. I have some near-term simple goals that help keep my sanity.

1. Make a list of small businesses and charities I can help now. (i.e. call my barber and offer to prepay my haircuts for the remainder of the year).

2. Order take-away food from small, independent restaurants.

3. Reach out to friend and family to offer support and social interaction (I get the same in return)

4. Cook with as little food waste as possible (I pan-fried potato peels with salt and a jalapeno peppers and a dusting of cheese - tasty!).

5. Express my appreciation to the workers who make it possible for society to continue (ie. food store cashiers, gas station attendants, etc)

6. Reassess what I need vs what I want and hopefully recalibrate my life on the other side of this crisis according to this reassessment. (i.e. I don't need to buy another stitch of clothing for the next 5 years, at minimum).

7. Talk to my neighbors (standing at least 6 feet apart) and get to know them better.

I would suggest you read Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography. He systematically tries to make himself a better person by logging his progress to measure is improvements.

Part Two
    The second part . . . . He then discusses his "bold and arduous Project of arriving at moral Perfection", listing thirteen virtues he wishes to perfect in himself. He creates a book with columns for each day of the week, in which he marks with black spots his offenses against each virtue.[2] Of these virtues, he notices that Order is the hardest for him to keep. He eventually realizes that perfection is not to be attained, but feels himself better and happier because of his attempt.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Au...jamin_Franklin

In China, you would get a second and probably a third wife

Morrison and Paxbritannia like this.

Who ever comes into my office leaves more motivated

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    I'm happy and healthy with enough wealth to live comfortably. I have two great kids, a wife I adore and a job I enjoy doing.
    You need to set yourself some arbitrary goal that you keep trying to achieve but never fully complete. That's the only way for us silly humans to feel "happy".
    periphery831 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Who ever comes into my office leaves more motivated
    I had a boss who did that. Every time I went into her office I was more motivated to find another job

I would make one life goal to be to have a life. You only get one and believe me you never know when it will be over.

I would also say to know God because that brings the most happiness and peace. No intention to stir up a debate on that but the question was asked.

I’m living my life goal on a daily basis, doing the things I should have done in my teens and 20s. Going to places I could only have dreamed of years ago.

It's great to meet someone so positive and upbeat!I have just two ideas for you to consider . I am a retired school principal and I am concerned for the students who have problems coping with the online lessons that our wonderful teachers are creating because of the lack of technological equipment at home.The HkEd can probably advise you as to how you can help them, or ask your school.
    My second is much more selfish! I am 80 and feel fine,well cared for in a care home in Kowloon Tong.However, a lot of us are missing treats like snacks, we can't have friends and family to visit.we can't go out.We won't starve,and we won't die of boredom,plenty of books and gadgets here.But the big moan (you all know we have to moan),is no crisps and biscuits and fun stuff to eat.maybe a rescue parcel would help us and stop the whining. Just an idea..

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I had a boss who did that. Every time I went into her office I was more motivated to find another job
    If they need help writing a CV and putting a programme together for job hunting then help is offered

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast