Like Tree43Likes

Life goals?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There are three considerations:

1. Your own subjective wishes

eg, your childhood/teenage dreams, what do you want now, what would make you happy in the future, etc

2. Objective considerations

eg, what would a reasonable person in your situation do?

you might want to think about your retirement and the future of your kids...

3. Practical considerations

eg, what CAN you do given what you have?

periphery831 and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I’m living my life goal on a daily basis, doing the things I should have done in my teens and 20s. Going to places I could only have dreamed of years ago.
    Like where ?

Quote Originally Posted by ren32:
    My second is much more selfish! I am 80 and feel fine,well cared for in a care home in Kowloon Tong.However, a lot of us are missing treats like snacks, we can't have friends and family to visit.we can't go out.We won't starve,and we won't die of boredom,plenty of books and gadgets here.But the big moan (you all know we have to moan),is no crisps and biscuits and fun stuff to eat.maybe a rescue parcel would help us and stop the whining. Just an idea..
    Happy to send you a care package. Please private msg me your address.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

I'd say that at the end of the day, most people will say to be happy. Happiness comes in different form for everyone: Fame, wealth, family, spirituality, personal achievements, love, health. Shake them all up and most likely the order will be slightly different in each individual. No one will have it all so I guess the trick is to manage to appreciate what we already have while striving to always make it a little better. Priorities often change as one gets older so it's good to take stock and reassess periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Editor:
    Happy to send you a care package. Please private msg me your address.
    Also - willing to send a care package - PM address of the care home.
    Last edited by East_coast; 29-03-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    shri likes this.

If you are in the fortunate position of being financially sound, not worried getting laid off and have some disposable income, then naturally one one should consider how they can contribute to the betterment of your community and the broader society. Contribution and donation to charities is one obvious path. But there are other ways to give back, like volunteering in your spare time. It doesn't necessarily have to be something so grand and world changing, what matters is that it should be a good cause you have a passion and interest for.

@ren32 - do let us know by sending a PM @Editor or send an email to [email protected]

Like @hullexile, for me moving closer to God is central but it's not something this puny human will try and force onto anyone else. If God really is, then God is capable of revealing God's existence to anyone who wants to know (note careful avoidance of gender-specific language).

Apart from that, the thing that continues to float my boat even after retiring from more formal teaching roles is to expand others' horizons. Usually younger people, but sometimes peers. This could mean anything from giving a toddler new foods to try to letting a deaf person touch my violin and feel the vibrations while I'm playing to providing shoes for a peasant child to be able to walk to school (probably also needed to advocate for the child to get them a school place in the first instance) to teaching someone how to make pancakes.

hullexile likes this.

I gradurely realized the real/biggest happiness comes from hard working - whether it's for career or hobby. Endurance is fun. Most people don't have anything to devote to, that's sad.

Talking Re:Snack Whinge

Thanks so very much to all of you that responded so promptly and generously to my post .
    I have sent an email to editor Shri in response.
    We are so grateful!!

rani likes this.