Like Tree526Likes

China is a basket case....

Page 30 of 65 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Wuhan is circa 10 million people. Which means somewhere over 100,000 deaths a year naturally. Or 10k a month.

40,000 deaths since December is not surprising in a city of that size.
    40000, really? According to cellphone descriptions it should be in the millions. Somehow they can't keep there alternative facts straight.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 29-03-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    50000, really? According to cellphone descriptions it should be in the millions. Somehow they can't keep there alternative facts straight.
    You should not be questioning other poster's grasp of numbers when your own grasp on reality is sketchy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    You should not be questioning other poster's grasp of numbers when your own grasp on reality is sketchy at best.
    Reality is I'm as skeptical as the other poster of the numbers coming out of Taiwan news. Do you have some other theory?

50000, really? According to cellphone descriptions it should be in the millions. Somehow they can't keep there alternative facts straight.
    In fact I haven't seen even one of my friends from Wuhan down in HK recently, I can only assume the whole city is dead.
    civil_servant likes this.

Reality is I'm as skeptical as the other poster of the numbers coming out of Taiwan news. Do you have some other theory?
    And you think the numbers from Wuhan are reliable?
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    And you think the numbers from Wuhan are reliable?
    Reliable in the sense that those who were confirmed as covid-19 and died were counted. It's well known that people who died when the health system was overrun and who weren't tested for the virus aren't part of the official count.

Currently we have 700,000 cases around the world with several epicentres in lockdown. The death count stands at 33K. There's no reason to believe Wuhan by itself had 40K cases. The response in the mainland was also very different. Quick lockdown in other parts of the country, mandatory mask wearing, people not working due to extended CNY break, and China sending 20,000 doctors into the epicentre. Hence you see a very different result than what you're observing in other continents.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Reliable in the sense that those who were confirmed as covid-19 and died were counted. It's well known that people who died when the health system was overrun and who weren't tested for the virus aren't part of the official count.
    So the numbers from Wuhan are not reliable. Yet you still defend China's response. Wumao is a wumao.
    coffee_break likes this.

Is that how the numbers were portrayed up until March?
    Coolboy likes this.

I really don't fully understand the total anti-China bias on here. Sure, the CCP do many awful things, but I'm not sure this virus response is necessarily one of them. They acted slowly, yes. (Show me a European country that acted fast? Look at the USA ffs. ). Like every country that finally figured out shit was hitting the fan, they then did something about it, and what they did seems to have been effective.

Have they tested everybody? NO. (Who has?)
    Do they have their own definitions of confirmed cases and deaths? (Yes - so does everyone else)
    Did they change definitions? Yes. (And so you should, if you realise there is a better way).

Are they hiding thousands of dead people? I don't know. I can't imagine that would be easy. Media may be controlled in China, but bad stuff usually gets out.

Are they hiding one or two dead people from time to time - probably. It would be consistent with how they operate to fudge facts a little. But as long as it's not a lot, does it really matter that much?

GentleGeorge and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Are they hiding one or two dead people from time to time - probably. It would be consistent with how they operate to fudge facts a little. But as long as it's not a lot, does it really matter that much?
    I was with you up until that point.
    eIIe likes this.

Page 30 of 65 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 38 ... LastLast