Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque

Hiring a boat to move to Cheung Chau

Closed Thread

Hiring a boat to move to Cheung Chau

We are moving from HK Central to Cheung Chau and have a few things we want to move. Does anyone have experience with hiring a boat for moving from HK Island to the outlying islands?

Thanks!

As one who lives on Peng Chau, I can tell you most people just throw it on the ferry, probably cheaper than hiring a boat. I have seen people move the whole flat on the ferry, AC units, refrigerators, beds, you name it. We sail with coffins, dogs, household goods and everything in between.
    In Mui Wo I have seen some ads for renting a private boat (near the pier) in English and Chinese. But before you do rent one, take a walk over to the NWFF freight office at the pier and find out the deal. They will even lend out handcarts to push your stuff to your new flat.

And all your new neighbors will do the once-over on your stuff- mostly if you are using movers, they will wrap it in big sheets of plastic...

Coolboy likes this.

That is a clear and appreciated comment. Thank you. I have seen things being loaded onto the ferries and was hoping I could figure out how it works as easily as possible. I'm moving soon and have a few things I'd rather not have to replace. Just need to get them to the pier! Fun.
    Many thanks! Take care.

Better to find a Facebook group for Cheung Chau and ask those living there how the arrangement is made. There will likely be a moving company that arranges things.

imparanoic likes this.

i did have a quote from a company for this very thing, if you like i can dig out their details. They used a freight boat (it was shared freight rather than all your own boat which reduced the cost of that part by circa 7K). They'd arrange it all and the fees seemed quite reasonable. Think they said it went from Sheung Wan and i presumed it docked up opposite the mkt, but since they were door to door i didnt dig into those specifics