Like Tree47Likes

Covid-19: Sending Packages by International Courier

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I stood in line for 3 hours at DHL Sheung Wan on Monday night to ship some masks to my parents in the US. Line was not even that long, just not very efficient.
    I was told something about needing an FDA number to get it through customs, but the lady said some people have said their packages have arrived fine.
    i paid $551 for flat rate Box (DHL Box size 3 to Zone 4). So far tracking is on schedule to arrive on Thurs and says it has already been released by customs.
    Perhaps customs is only flagging large shipments that may seem ready for resale. The woman wouldn’t even let me lie about what I’m shipping since I didn’t want it written on the parcel. Didn’t want anyone to steal it from my parents apt building. I was told signature is required.

In early Feb I had a friend ship me masks from Chicago to HK. I paid $75usd for priority express 3-5 day shipping. It took 22 days to arrive to me.

shri, blueagles and MABinPengChau like this.

Delays to SouthEast Asia

Went to Speedpost on Monday to send mask to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for mum. Previous parcels arrived overnight, if I send it today morning, it would arrive tomorrow before lunch time.

This time, the counter staff verbally informed that it may take 6 days to arrive due to lack of flights , lockdowns and shortage of manpower , etc.... especially in South East Asia, they had parcels still stuck for more than a week on the other end. So do be prepared for long delay
    My parcel is still in progress....

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Thanks! I may just give SF a go. Use them regularly for domestic deliveries so have the QR codes stickers on my desk. Seems to be cheaper than Speedpost/DHL.
    Any update on using SF to ship masks to UK? Haven't used them before but trying to get shipping rates info to UK on their website does not yield any result.

Planning to ship masks to UK and looking for advice on:
    - most economical way to do it
    - what is the avg weight of 50 pcs of face masks?
    - do you repack masks into ziplock bags?
    - if using Speedpost, do u need to declare the items as face masks? if not, what?
    - if using Speedpost, will face masks fit a packet/parcel or is it more economical to ship a small box and just fit as much face masks in it as possible?

Thanks all and appreciate any advice!🥰

Just FedEx'd a package of masks to Australia and the usual 4 days turnaround for economy rate seems to be no trouble.

Registered online and booked a pickup so no need to visit an office. Filled in the commercial invoice through their site as a gift and just printed everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    Any update on using SF to ship masks to UK? Haven't used them before but trying to get shipping rates info to UK on their website does not yield any result.

Planning to ship masks to UK and looking for advice on:
    - most economical way to do it
    - what is the avg weight of 50 pcs of face masks?
    - do you repack masks into ziplock bags?
    - if using Speedpost, do u need to declare the items as face masks? if not, what?
    - if using Speedpost, will face masks fit a packet/parcel or is it more economical to ship a small box and just fit as much face masks in it as possible?

Thanks all and appreciate any advice!������
    I sent via Speedpost and it took 6 days but that's including a weekend. The package weighed less than a kilo. Cost was $245. I declared them as Masks and a Gift. To save time, complete the Speedpost form and customs declaration online and then print and stick to your package.

Think I read that SF was taking longer.

https://ec-ship.hongkongpost.hk/
    shri and hkgcat like this.

Hi rani, does one need to open an account to use Speedpost or do you simply go the the post office to do it? Do you need to pack the masks yourself with your own packaging? Lastly, do you need to show the contents of the package to the post office staff first before sealing it? Thanks again!

Last edited by hkgcat; 02-04-2020 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added text

I just weighed a box of masks (50ct) and it comes out to about 200g.

Also in case anyone is wondering for DHL, people in front of me in line were taking the bag of masks out of packaging and compressing into a flat rate envelope as this would be the cheapest. A 50ct seems to fit in 1 envelope. Another guy did not want to take out of the packaging,and due to the size of the box required to fit 4boxes of masks, the shipping charge to Zone 4 Europe was $1700. DHL will inspect your goods prior to shipping and requires you to declare as Masks.

shri, hkgcat and blueagles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    Hi rani, does one need to open an account to use Speedpost or do you simply go the the post office to do it? Do you need to pack the masks yourself with your own packaging? Lastly, do you need to show the contents of the package to the post office staff first before sealing it? Thanks again!
    I think anyone can open an ecship a/c. Here's the link. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

https://accounts.hongkongpost.hk/epage/register
    hkgcat likes this.

*****Shipping Masks to USA update*****

package labeled as "Masks for personal use"

via UPS Express (not plus / freight / saver)
    package picked up by UPS in the afternoon of April 1
    package arrived in NYC by April 3rd (hong kong time)

via Speedpost
    package dropped off at HK post office in the afternoon of April 1
    as of april 3rd, the package is still sitting around in a hk, current status is "Process completed for departure"

blueagles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    *****Shipping Masks to USA update*****

package labeled as "Masks for personal use"

via UPS Express (not plus / freight / saver)
    package picked up by UPS in the afternoon of April 1
    package arrived in NYC by April 3rd (hong kong time)

via Speedpost
    package dropped off at HK post office in the afternoon of April 1
    as of april 3rd, the package is still sitting around in a hk, current status is "Process completed for departure"
    The HK Post website says there will be delays in all airmail services because of the rescheduling of flights