Like Tree86Likes

Should I fly back to HK amidst this Coronavirus madness?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

Now the weird bit is we tested negative but still have to remain in quarantine.
    Not weird at all, the PCR test has a high rate of false negatives. Assume you do have it until the end of the 14 day quarantine period.

https://www.livescience.com/covid19-...negatives.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/w...-negative.html
    hullexile likes this.

Not an answer to the original post but I feel obliged to say. You can respond to things you don’t agree with without getting personal and abusive, There are some people on here that are verging on bullying of a certain person. (Some are just bully’s to anyone they have an opposing view from)

it is possible to give an opinion with out vitriol and I believe it reflects better on yourself if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Not an answer to the original post but I feel obliged to say. You can respond to things you don’t agree with without getting personal and abusive, There are some people on here that are verging on bullying of a certain person. (Some are just bully’s to anyone they have an opposing view from)

it is possible to give an opinion with out vitriol and I believe it reflects better on yourself if you can.
    In general I agree but for me there are views that are just not acceptable and the person you are referring to firstly put forward a totally abhorrent idea and secondly her actions and attitudes are putting the lives of others at risk. Normally selfishness is not an issue but when that attitude has killed so many thousands of people I do, for some reason, find it a problem.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    In general I agree but for me there are views that are just not acceptable and the person you are referring to firstly put forward a totally abhorrent idea and secondly her actions and attitudes are putting the lives of others at risk. Normally selfishness is not an issue but when that attitude has killed so many thousands of people I do, for some reason, find it a problem.
    I would like to see the scientific articles that show how many people any of that "attitude" has directly killed. It's all just a bunch of hyperbole so you can feel smug about not being "selfish", whatever that means. I'm sure you sitting at home clapping like a moron for your TikTok followers has saved countless of lives.

Everyone of you saying OP shouldn't be "selfish" and stay home are just equally as selfish. All you are trying to do is prevent someone from travelling here, on the minuscule chance him coming here could result in a reduction of you freedoms or access to healthcare.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 05-04-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Everyone of you saying OP shouldn't be "selfish" and stay home are just equally as selfish. All you are trying to do is prevent someone from travelling here, on the minuscule chance him coming here could result in a reduction of you freedoms or access to healthcare.
    I think there are plenty of posts on this thread that point out that the chances of him/her getting the virus while on a flight are MUCH higher than say randomly reducing our "freedoms" and "access to healthcare". Also, them being an asymptomatic carrier and passing it to others on the flight is a considerably higher risk.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I would like to see the scientific articles that show how many people any of that "attitude" has directly killed. It's all just a bunch of hyperbole so you can feel smug about not being "selfish", whatever that means. I'm sure you sitting at home clapping like a moron for your TikTok followers has saved countless of lives.

Says the man who still thinks we are all "fucking hypochondriacs" and this is "less than the flu". The fact that you support the less extreme and more thought out views of Katherine is no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

Now the weird bit is we tested negative but still have to remain in quarantine.
    If it is a test for the antibodies, then there is the window period:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_period

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I think there are plenty of posts on this thread that point out that the chances of him/her getting the virus while on a flight are MUCH higher than say randomly reducing our "freedoms" and "access to healthcare". Also, them being an asymptomatic carrier and passing it to others on the flight is a considerably higher risk.
    If you look at the CHP list there aren't many confirmed cases on incoming flights. 31.03 there were 3 on VS206 from London. Assuming it was a full flight that's about 1%. There also were 3 on CX256, which is also about 1%. I obviously don't know the actual number passengers on each flight.

I'm not saying there isn't a risk, but it doesn't seem very high. Certainly not much higher than going to the supermarket. Everyone saying OP should not come here because every arrival is a drain on government resources does so for the same selfish reasons as somebody who considers travelling here. Everybody just considers what's "best" for themselves. But at least OP wasn't trying to wrap it into some altruistic motive.

I'll stay out of the holier than thou attitude. I am not interested in judging what is right or wrong when I have no knowledge of someone's personal situation. I'll stick with the facts, in the last while, most of the cases in HK have come from people flying in and with so few flights coming in, it would seem that your chances of catching the virus would be significantly higher at the moment. I don't know that it will be any better in a month though. I know that in my case, I wouldn't fly unless I had a very good reason to do so.

If you live in a big house, can stock all the essentials in garage, the house is in a very safe area, you should stay in Canada. You have better chance not get virus in next 12-18 months and still have peaceful life. If you are debating whether comes back now or end of April, then probably now is better as the hospital still has capability.