Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Miaofromcali
  • 1 Post By CharSiuNow

Ideas for Employment after TEFL job gone.

Closed Thread

Ideas for Employment after TEFL job gone.

Hi, I came to Hong Kong on the advice of the tefl agency i had joined that schools would be reopening in April but now it looks more like Sept.

That's left me in a position where I have no way to support myself financially until that time. I've signed up to some tutoring apps but not having much luck. I was wondering if anyone had any employment ideas? Can you get retail work only speaking English?

My background is actually due diligence/brand protection but I couldn't find work without speaking Canto/Mandarin.

Thanks for any ideas!

Are you on an employment visa or do you have RTL/ RoA?

If the former, sorry, no dice; you can't ork for another employer without going through the whole visa rigmarole again.

If the latter, then just get whatever job you can find to get by for now; most industries are laying off staff in droves at present.

I saw a kid from my apartment building doing deliveries for food panda on his bike. No idea how he got hired and I am sure he doesn't speak any Chinese. It's not a bad part-time gig since everyone is just staying at home and ordering take aways.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miaofromcali:
    I saw a kid from my apartment building doing deliveries for food panda on his bike. No idea how he got hired and I am sure he doesn't speak any Chinese. It's not a bad part-time gig since everyone is just staying at home and ordering take aways.
    Most of the delivery people I see, appear to be from the subcontinent, and most have limited Chinese skills. I have to say though, given that it's mostly them, I assume it will be bloody hard work for very little pay. It'll be the equivalent of a paper route, except people don't complain if your paper is cold.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Some tuition centres have started to rehire.

I'd apply to any postings right now and see what you get offered. The school market has nothing until August/September like you said.

Retail is probably harder as they have faced even worse conditions.