Like Tree117Likes

HK$ 10K Handout FAQs / Updates

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

HK$ 10K Handout FAQs / Updates

(Guys - keep the politics out of this... we get it, some of you want the cash, some of you don't. This is for us, who will appreciate the cash and use it appropriately regardless of the politics... PLEASE!)

This is what I've collected across several news sources - will verify and update as and when there are updates.

Handout Amount: HK$ 10,000
    Eligibility: Permanent Residents during the 2020/21 FISCAL YEAR
    Application: Online / print form. Expected to start this summer, pending Finance committee / Legco Approvals. Applications will continue till Dec 2021
    Payment forms: Direct Deposit and by Cheque - you don't need to be in HK to apply or receive the cash

EDITED INFO ABOUT JOINT ACCOUNTS

• This means if you're eligible for PR next year, you still get the cash handout.
    • If you're overseas and have a local bank account, you can still get the cash deposited into your account.
    • I am not aware if the govt will mail checks overseas.
    • I also suspect as this is usually the case with most govt payments, you will need a sole name bank account for direct deposits. Cheques deposit should be depostiable into joint accounts.
    Last edited by shri; 27-02-2020 at 11:47 AM.

The Standard:

Eligible recipients should be 18 or above before March 31 next year and the registration deadline would be December 31 next year, a government source said.
    Based on its experience of giving HK$6,000 sweeteners in 2011, the government expected the registration period to start in August this year.

Qualified citizens will need to register basic information, including name, ID card number, bank account details, on an online system or fill out papers obtained from banks and government departments.

Hongkongers who have migrated overseas do not need to come back in person as they can receive the money as long as they register and have a local bank account.

The government is also considering opening registration to the elderly first to distribute the handout in batches.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ion/11/216717/
    imparanoic likes this.

I'll be eligible for hkpr this summer. Thanks in advance HK govt

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    [*]I also suspect as this is usually the case with most govt payments, you will need a sole name bank account and will not be able to deposit this into your joint accounts.[/LIST]
    Are there different forms of joint accounts? My wife and I have a joint account at HSBC and can deposit checks in either name. Only outgoing wire transfers show the joint names together.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Are there different forms of joint accounts? My wife and I have a joint account at HSBC and can deposit checks in either name. Only outgoing wire transfers show the joint names together.
    Does seem to need a sole name account based on some cheques we've received (2011 handout). I do recall that this was specifically mentioned on the cheque.

A recent tax refund was deposited into a joint account without issues.

An elderly relative who gets fruit money (direct deposited to sole account - used to be by cheque) also mentioned that you cannot take those payments in joint accounts.
    Last edited by shri; 27-02-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Chatting with the wife - I might be wrong about the 2011 handout check. Let me see if I have any emails or online info / bookmarks.

I've seen various discussions like this.

Seems like direct deposit requires sole name account. Cheques can be deposited into joint accounts.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 11.43.51 AM.png
Views: 11975
Size:  82.3 KB

https://www.legco.gov.hk/yr10-11/eng...8a.pdf?noembed

Fanof likes this.

Also you will not need a bank account ( as it says in 23 ). They will issue cheques through the Post Office and you take them to BoC who will give you cash over the counter. FYI - I did this last time for the 4K. I think there was an option on how to receive on the form.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    Also you will not need a bank account ( as it says in 23 ). They will issue cheques through the Post Office and you take them to BoC who will give you cash over the counter. FYI - I did this last time for the 4K. I think there was an option on how to receive on the form.
    You're right - this explains why some people came back to HK to collect the cheque. Forgot about that and was wondering why a couple of friends showed up (cheap tickets + 3 year clock reset etc were additional motivating factors).
    spode and rkenia852 like this.

Covid-19: HK Relief Package 2.0

Starting to see some chatter about the second relief package.

I do hope it is a bit more holistic, surgical and efficiently delivered than previous - 10K + 3.5K checks that are in a mail on a slow boat from China or somewhere else.

https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero/...71830115713024

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Starting to see some chatter about the second relief package.

I do hope it is a bit more holistic, surgical and efficiently delivered than previous - 10K + 3.5K checks that are in a mail on a slow boat from China or somewhere else.

https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero/...71830115713024
    I think they are hoping it will all be over before they actual have to pay out some money. "Oh well, now it won't be necessary anymore"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast