Like Tree86Likes

Should I fly back to HK amidst this Coronavirus madness?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Right. But then who decides what's right? Hullexile and coolboy from the internet?

I genuinely believe certain aspects of the stricter lock downs in Europe are morally wrong. Am I then free to ignore them on moral grounds (of course facing the consequences of being caught)?

Beyond the legal system of any one country people will have their own moral codes. Some will closely mirror yours, others not.
    Society generally. Society, as far as I can tell, seems to be sending a message of 'stay the fuck home".

Of course you are free to do whatever you like. There is no law against being selfish.

Taiwan just granted everyone an additional 30 days, no formalities required. Much appreciated, I will see the mango season

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Society generally. Society, as far as I can tell, seems to be sending a message of 'stay the fuck home".

Of course you are free to do whatever you like. There is no law against being selfish.
    Do mentions work in here? A regular poster is currently at HK airport, I presume about to check-in for a flight. Would be good to get his 'hot take' on this. @MRChips
    Last edited by Kowloon72; 06-04-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: @mentions

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:

And how do we judge society's opinion? Does society have one universal opinion or is there room for diversity? Via social media? Shared behaviours? In Europe the governments resorted to coercion as a significant number of people didn't want to stay at home. 65,000 at Cheltenham days before a full lock down. I pass hundreds if not thousands of people out on non-essential business in HK everyday, sit with dozens in restaurants and bars everyweek. Why is it their opinion on what is right doesn't get to contribute to society more broadly, and only the opinions that fit with the way you think?
    Last edited by Kowloon72; 06-04-2020 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Terribe spelling, grammar, typos
    HK_Katherine likes this.

And how do we judge society's opinion? Does society have one universal opinion or is there room for diversity? Via social media? Shared behaviours? In Europe the governments resorted to coercion as a significant number of people didn't want to stay at home. 65,000 at Cheltenham days before a full lock down. I pass hundreds if not thousands of people out on non-essential business in HK everyday, sit with dozens in restaurants and bars everyweek. Why is it their opinion on what is right doesn't get to contribute to society more broadly, and only the opinions that fit with the way you think?
    You make your choice to potentially spread the virus and be a non thinking killer. It is not illegal so you are free to do it. Up to you if you can live with that.

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I ended up deferring my flight indefinitely - but to be honest Canada's numbers aren't in great shape either.

Either way, not looking forward to the mandatory testing that will await me when I'm back. It doesn't look pleasant.

Skyhook likes this.

Do mentions work in here? A regular poster is currently at HK airport, I presume about to check-in for a flight. Would be good to get his 'hot take' on this. @MRChips
    That mention didn't work so I've just seen this... what was the question? If it's regarding whether or not I'm being selfish to travel... to be honest, I didn't see it that way... things are way worse here in the UK... one thing I would say, we were on a plane with 9 other people... at LHR we passed 1 person, the immigration officer (masked) and we were out... 1 uber driver (unmasked)... we mask religiously and use handwash religiously... the AirB&B entry system means we didn't meet anybody...

On Tuesday we are catching an Uber to Wycombe (we're in Mayfair now) where my car is waiting in a carpark with the key on the front wheel and a full tank... we will then drive to a cottage in Co. Durham and hibernate...

I feel like we are in much more danger from other people than they are from us... we are masked up and hand washing, they are mostly just doing the two metre thing... it's very clear to me why the virus is spreding so easily here... people are keeping a strict 2 metre distance in supermarkets, but, no masks, picking things up, putting them back... it's a shit-show... those that can are obviously stuck in doors more or less 24/7, but that's not possible for everyone...

Personally, I feel relatively safe on the street, keeping distance, wearing a mask and practicing good hand washing discipline...
    hullexile and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by j77892:
    Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I ended up deferring my flight indefinitely - but to be honest Canada's numbers aren't in great shape either.

Either way, not looking forward to the mandatory testing that will await me when I'm back. It doesn't look pleasant.
    A swab? Hardly a issue to change plans for and much less than the impact of self isolation!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5