Like Tree209Likes

Covid-19: HK News - Long Holiday Thread

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I think the point she is trying to make which I agree with is that a relatively high number of deaths/death rate combined with a relatively low testing rate suggests that there are many undetected cases in the community. HK is the total opposite of that with relatively high testing rate and a remarkably low death rate which doesn't suggest many hidden cases. Obviously developing countries such as the Phillippines or Indonesia are also not able to provide the same level of care as a developed country and where the general health of the population isn't the same also contribute to a higher rate.

One only has to look at the US where unsurprisingly most of the deaths in urban area are from disadvantaged communities to have an inkling of the impact in developing countries. No doubt there will also be more deaths that will not be reported as virus related.
    Yes I understand that point but just correcting the factually incorrect "huge", it is average.

I am not convinced on this idea that there are masses of cases undetected and definitely not in Hong Kong.

There was the Austrian research which suggests the figure is not huge. In the Philippines they started the increase in testing towards mass testing last week, carrying out the same number of tests in one week as in all the other weeks combined. The number of positive results fell!

The target is 21,000 tests this week, 42,000 next week, 56,000 the week after then another step up when the private sector take over a lot of it.

They have readied thousands of additional quarantine beds expecting a surge in positive cases. This will be another indicator for the world as to whether there are masses of undetected cases in the population. However ignore the first couple of weeks as they will be focusing on medical staff and already suspect cases.
    Tyresmoke likes this.

Wait until the numbers come right down (in any given place) and all the excuses come out as to why the current measures must absolutley not be lifted/Infact should be tightened even more.

Quite looking forward to seeing the mental gymnastics behind it all.
    Posted on April 8th. Last few pages haven't disappointed in that respect. My favourite is this new theme that we can't actually trust the HK numbers and/or they're not testing enough. Can't recall many people saying that when the numbers were climbing. Doctors and nurses have proven to be fiercely anti-government when necessary, they would be shouting to the heavens if they expected foul play on the numbers.
    Aramis, merchantms, lijacq and 1 others like this.

At the end of the day, the number of unreported or asymptomatic carriers is somewhat irrelevant. What matters is the number of people taking hospital beds and dying. What matters is the rate at which they are coming into the system vs the ones being discharged. If there is large silent population that indeed was or is sick and they turn out to have immunity then it can only be a good thing going forward. It's only a problem if that ghost population is sending tons of people to the hospitals and morgues.

merchantms and HK_Katherine like this.

Single digit number again today, 5... But they note in the press conference that, yes, some clinics will be closed over the holiday weekend.

Who is this woman who is working so tirelessly for Hong Kong?

Mr Chips, cwd and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Local asymptomatic cases in the general public are caught via tracing. Such was the case when they quarantined 100 police officers or the entire bar cluster. Thinking that somehow random asymptomatic people on a large scale are running around among the general public is not supported by evidence.
    I fully agree but you may be under playing still having elements of a free press still in Hong Kong which means cover-ups in the Hospital Authority would be very hard to contain.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Single digit number again today, 5... But they note in the press conference that, yes, some clinics will be closed over the holiday weekend.

Who is this woman who is working so tirelessly for Hong Kong?
    That’s Dr Chuang Shuk-Kwan:

https://amp.scmp.com/comment/letters...irus-battle-it

She’s done a much better job than the public disgrace of Hong Kong, Carrie Lam.

https://twitter.com/rachel_cheung1/s...616214529?s=21

In the beginning, the testing criteria were quite limited- history of travel to Hubei, admission to the hospital with symptoms, etc. So early on, yes, I do think HK missed a number of cases (those with mild symptoms). I would be interested in the results of widespread antibody testing, not just in HK but worldwide. It would have to be both inexpensive and accurate. I think it's the only way we will ever have a more accurate death rate because we still don't know who has had it...
    Now the testing is much more widespread but early on it was probably overly-limited, I don't know if that anything to do with available test kits and labs who could process the results. I think the "spit-test" kit that is widely used now did help make testing more widespread as you can do the test at home and someone can bring it to a lab for you (if you think you may have it).

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    The latest panic buying in Sai Kung appears to be tonic water! Can’t find anywhere !
    I got some! Will swap for plain/all purpose flour!

Quote Originally Posted by bsh:
    I got some! Will swap for plain/all purpose flour!
    Ha ha found some Watson’s Tonic Water this morning. Beggars can’t be choosers

There's lots in the Big Fusion in the Centro building.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12