Like Tree1972Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Closed Thread
Page 87 of 134 FirstFirst ... 79 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 95 ... LastLast

#HKPoliceState hashtag fun tailor-made for this thread...

Featuring a lovely group shot of The Party's Stormpoopers. You read that right.

https://twitter.com/studioincendo/st...68199767076864

Quartz: Hong Kong’s mass arrests are giving police crucial intelligence: people’s phones
    May 7, 2020
    By Mary Hui

(thread)

@joshuawongcf 's iPhone was just one of nearly 4000 phones that Hong Kong police cracked into from Jun-Nov last year. He fears the police are specifically targeting arrests at high-profile opposition figures in part to gain access to their devices.
    A HK-based cybersecurity expert who has trained the police's cybersec & tech crime bureau told me that even if the evidence collected from phones isn't admissible in court bc the legality of the vague warrants are challenged, the data will help map out who's who among protesters.
    Baklava likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    - You're not going to find much information about this which is neutral and more importantly factual.

I personally think the district council have limited authority and it appears that some parts of the council feel that they can randomly create committees to push the boundaries.

But will wait for the responses to see if they actually do have the authority as I cannot be arsed to spend an hour or two trying to figure this one out.

Can we continue current protests / politics discussions in one thread?

Here -> https://geoexpat.com/forum/newpostinthread356536.html

Please? I don't want multiple dumping grounds... hard to follow and multiple posts.

(I think this thread still has long term value... for more long term issues)

Couldn’t agree more...originally meant this thread more for specifically police state type actions rather than brutality etc. anyway. Thanks everyone.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...icers-arrested

Since April 19, at least 15 officers have been arrested, including for serious offences such as drug trafficking, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment upon conviction.

There were 24 arrests in the force for the whole of 2019.
    On Thursday, two officers were arrested for possessing more than HK$12 million (US$1.9 million) worth of drugs, which the force believed were stolen from a record haul of crystal meth seized last week.

More to follow …

The SCMP seems spot on with its closing statment in this article

Closed Thread
Page 87 of 134 FirstFirst ... 79 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 95 ... LastLast