Like Tree1972Likes

Hong Kong's steady descent into a police state

Closed Thread
Page 88 of 134 FirstFirst ... 80 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 96 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    District offices are part of the Home Affairs Department and District officers thus are civil servants.

s.71 of the District Council ordinance gives District councils the right to establish committees. The debate seems to be whether or not constitutional affairs are "matters affecting the well-being of the people in the District". The HAD obviously says they aren't. Google didn't yield any results on how the District Council Secretariat is established, so I assume it's just a part of the HAD and the government can do pretty much whatever they like with it.
    Mefisto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Since April 19, at least 15 officers have been arrested, including for serious offences such as drug trafficking, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment upon conviction.

There were 24 arrests in the force for the whole of 2019.
    On Thursday, two officers were arrested for possessing more than HK$12 million (US$1.9 million) worth of drugs, which the force believed were stolen from a record haul of crystal meth seized last week.
    Just as someone on Twitter said a long time ago "If the Police were considered an organised crime group, they would be HK's biggest criminal syndicate" (or something along those lines).
    rs4 likes this.

Mefisto likes this.

CCP will spare noone

Original Post Deleted
    You actually think you can openly take pictures of police forces in the UK and the US without being at least questioned.

Let’s have proper informed facts. Taking photos in this way I would argue HK has been relatively weak in comparison to others

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    You actually think you can openly take pictures of police forces in the UK and the US without being at least questioned.

Let’s have proper informed facts. Taking photos in this way I would argue HK has been relatively weak in comparison to others
    Please post examples of UK or US police stopping and searching journalists for taking pictures. Are there any mechanism for journalists and other people to have police actions independently investigated in the US and the UK? Please tell us what exactly one is supposed to do about any police misconduct in HK? Please give us examples of HK police officers that have been disciplined in recent times for inappropriate behavior. I guess you can argue like they do that there hasn't been any... This litlle charade of excusing excessive force by claiming other police forces also use excessive force in incredibly lame considering that there are absolutely no oversight here.

I actually don't put all the blame on the officers on the street, they have been put there with limited training and experience in dealing with this, I blame the leadership who has been unable and unwilling to set parameters, try to control the actions of officers and stubbornly refusing any independent inquiries.
    Gatts, jrkob, mrgoodkat and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I think you can openly take pictures of police forces in the UK without being at least questioned.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Can I suggest you both do a simple internet search on the perils of taking a photo of UK or US policemen without their permission. It may just shock you into reality.

Closed Thread
Page 88 of 134 FirstFirst ... 80 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 96 ... LastLast